Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A lesson with Adult Beginners! HELP!    

A lesson with Adult Beginners! HELP!

TriumphTriumph
Russian Federation

A lesson with Adult Beginners! HELP!

Hello, everyone!

In two days I �m gonna have 4 lessons of English with adult beginners! I Have no slightest idea what to do with them! Can you give me any advice? Or links? Or something? Pleeeeeaaseee!!!!

Thanks in advanceHeart

29 Oct 2012      

crist3008
Peru

just do it as they were children... they are gonna enjoy. 

29 Oct 2012     

chud
Israel

I �ve got some lesson plans for adult beginners. I �ll send them to you later. Working at the moment. You have to think about their needs, first of all. What vocabulary and grammar suit their needs most of all.

29 Oct 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Maybe you �ll find something here:
http://busyteacher.org/7273-teach-adults-15-secrets.html

Also browse through here

Sophia

29 Oct 2012     

aliciapc
Uruguay

http://www.eslpartyland.com/esl-lesson-plans-online

29 Oct 2012     

karka30
Poland

At first some kind of "get to know each other" activities. It �s not that bad, believe me. The students are your students no matter their age. You �ll make it!:) Intoduce some vocab and support yourself with games, gives good results. There �re plenty of such stuff here. Relax and try to make them relaxed, might be even more stressed than you:) I had similiar switch just overnight and good attitude, preparation for the class and lively activities can do miracles! Good luck!

29 Oct 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

I respectively disagree, crist3008. It �s demeaning to treat adults like children. Yes, you can do some of the same sorts of games, but I agree with chud: think about their needs. In fact, ask them about what they want to study and why they want to learn English. My guess is that their reasons will be among the following: need English for business/career/job, need English for travel, want English for TV/movies/books, or just want to keep their brains working.

Just keeping the brains working is easy; they �ll be happy with almost anything. For business/career/job, teach vocabulary related to their professions or that they need at work. For travel, teach words not only about travel but also banking and medical emergencies. And finally, for media, teach some slang and contemporary English, even if it isn �t standard.

Grammar is grammar. You may need to teach some "catch phrases" early on, but start with easy and work up to more difficult, just as you would with children. Just use adult-appropriate vocabulary and books that aren �t childish. Be sure you point out the ways English is LESS difficult than Russian, too. Our nouns are much easier to deal with than Russian nouns. We change only for plural (-s or -es with a few exceptions) and possessive ( �s or s � with no exceptions). Russian has, what, 7 cases? Ouch!

29 Oct 2012     

alexcure
Poland

MoodyWoody, for Slavic people Slavic languages are very easy and it �s not the point to point out that English is less difficult, for adults learners it�s another Slavic language which will be less difficult than English, ;-) ... (English does not have cases but has articles and numerous tenses - the notions which do not exist in Slavic languages). But I totally agree with all the rest you wrote. 

It �s good to know the purpose, why our adults want to study English, it helps. The adult learners, unlike children, most often want to know the grammar and they help the teacher asking many questions, so TriumphTriumph you will learn very quickly how to teach them, your group will show you soon the way they like... Without any doubt you need to repeat many times and talk a lot with them. I can suggest you a game:

After each lesson with them, at the end, ask them to write the words that they considered difficult on small pieces of paper, on one side they need to write the words in English or in their mother tongue and then collect them. Ask them to draw at random and to translate into their mother tongue (or English) each time they draw, if they can�t, then the group helps... Collect the pieces of paper and at the beginning of each lesson ask them to draw the �old � words to check if they memorised them... It �s good to continue the game ... you will see how much it helps and how exciting it will be for them... my teacher of Italian did it with the great success when I studied Italian (being an adult).... I liked the game myself and then as a teacher of English I tried it many times with my adult students... and it worked with them as well ;-)!

29 Oct 2012     

douglas
United States

I would add it makes a difference if they are true beginners or false beginners.  With true beginners, depending on what their native language is, I suggest you start with the alphabet/phonics, numbers and basic vocab.

30 Oct 2012     

labadi2011
Algeria

thanks for sharing , very interesting

30 Oct 2012