Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > cost only or only cost?    

cost only or only cost?

Greek Professor
Greece

cost only or only cost?

elaborate for me please....

Thanks in advance

31 Oct 2012      

perma
Greece

As in "it only costs..." / "it costs only..." ?
Both I think.

31 Oct 2012     

yanogator
United States

In a strict grammatical sense, "It costs only ..." is the correct form, because the "only" is modifying the amount, not the act of costing. In common usage, however, both are fine, and are probably used with about the same frequency.

That brings me to a complaint I always have about advertisers. They will put the word "only" before any amount of money, no matter how large, as if that will make people think it �s a bargain. I find it annoying. "This widget can be yours for only $750!" In my opinion, $750 is hard enough to come up with, that I would never consider it to be "only $750".

Bruce

31 Oct 2012     

Greek Professor
Greece

thanks perma...
but one answer is correct...and that is : only cost

so i would lik to know why...

thanks

31 Oct 2012     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Have you read Bruce �s clear explanation ?? 

31 Oct 2012     

yanogator
United States

Thanks for the support, Alicia, but my explanation can �t answer why "only cost" is the only correct answer (from a book, I would guess). GP would have to contact the person who gives that as the only correct answer to find out why.

Bruce

31 Oct 2012     

aliciapc
Uruguay

You �re right Hug

31 Oct 2012     

PhilipR
Thailand

Without any context it is virtually impossible to answer these kind of questions adequately. Poster should elaborate before expecting a full explanation.

BTW, looking at common usage you�ll find that both are used.

This books costs only 20 dollars.
This book only costs 20 dollars.
I�d say if you did a survey quite a few respondents would go for option two. Like Bruce and grammar books say, it should be option one. That�s probably the why your exam question - because I guess that�s what it is - wants option one.

31 Oct 2012     

Greek Professor
Greece

Hey thanks guys...sorry...but i had not seen Bruce �s answer...maybe we posted at the same time....but after my message to perma...i rushed off to work.....

yes i read the explanations...and thanks alot...it became clear to me....

1 Nov 2012