Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Observed lesson    

Observed lesson

karka30
Poland

Observed lesson

Hi everyone,

I �m going to have my class observed by the headmaster (standard procedure once a year).
I �ll have it with a class of 8-year-old kids, lesson will be connected with food vocabulary. The focus of the headmaster is to see how I check student �s achievement during the lesson so basically how I check if they �ve learnt the words etc.
Have you got any good ideas or activities or type of activities for such a class?

I �d be grateful for any ideas:)

31 Oct 2012      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

how about say two/three posters with food vocabulary, i.e. words with missing letters and pictures to match? the kids could be devided in two/three teams and have a running competition filling in the missing letters/matching the words with markers. The team, that finish first and make less mistakes, wins. It �s fun for the pupils and it �s also physical.
You could offer them to read sentences where words are substituted with pictures.
You could also use role-play of a situation at the market when a customer buys food from a seller (pairwork)
A writing activity could be a task when they have to work individually (it could be something to check grammar/vocab. etc) after completing you could ask them to swich and check each others mistakes and raise a hand and consult you if they think they found a mistake.

I once used this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNpBYtcILv0 for a listening activity when each student had a couple of flashcards of the items used in the song and while they were singing, they had to raise cards with pictures for the words which they heard in the song.
just some ideas...

I would make a big assessment chart with their names and double sided sticky tape strips next to each student �s name (btw you have to remove the protective layer when your chart is on the wall/board in front of the class, right before the lesson starts) and I would stick paper cut-outs of red apples, pears, apples with a worm for each excellent answer/answer with minor mistakes/wrong answer respectively. That would give them extra motivation and you �ll be able to give them fair marks at the end of the lesson. The students with all red apples get excellent marks, those with just a few green pears  and all the rest red apples get good marks and so on. Students who have only apples with worms i.e. haven �t provided a single correct answer could be encouraged to try harder next time.
If you choose to use this idea, you should spend a couple of minutes at the beginning of your lesson to explain to your students what it is and how it works.
I used it a couple of times with primary classes and they enjoy it greatly.
Sophia

(please give us some feedback afterwards, it would be great to know how it went:)
All the best

31 Oct 2012     

maggiejeria
Chile

ueslteacher: Great ideas, thanks a lotHug

31 Oct 2012     

karka30
Poland

Thank you so much Thumbs Up
Brilliant!Handshake

31 Oct 2012     

orly100
Israel

Sophia �s idea is really great. The same idea can be done with the following link:
 http://teach.classdojo.com/register you need to register for the site but it �s free. During the lesson you can give points to students and they get cute avatars.
How to use it in class Tutorial
 : http://www.classdojo.com/videos/student

Orly

1 Nov 2012     

ellakass
Israel

Games and exercises about food here:
http://www.orianit.edu-negev.gov.il/harelasd/sites/homepage/elvira/fOOD.htm
Good luck!

1 Nov 2012     

Katiapulko
Ukraine

Sophia, that was a bunch of perfect ideas! Thanks for sharing them with us. 

1 Nov 2012     

karka30
Poland

The lesson is going to take place after our holiday, in about a week. I �ll let you know how it went

1 Nov 2012     

karka30
Poland

Thank all of you for your brilliant ideas.
My lesson was a bit postponed but finally it �s over:)

I used many of your suggestions:
Thank you Sophia, the idea of using a big assesment poster and sticking different fruit was a great success.
I also used idea of Gulsah who shared her cut-paste worksheet. 
We did also some food racing and an online interactive game.
It went really well.

The headmaster really pleased and the children also.

Thank you for your help and support:)

hugs,

Karolina

19 Nov 2012