Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > demo class with parents !! help plzz    

demo class with parents !! help plzz

ramk
China

demo class with parents !! help plzz

hi everyone !
 I am a new teacher and i have a demo class in 2 days! The students parents will also be their to decide if i am good enough for their children or not. its a private institution in china so the  parents get to decide if i get hired or not. i am very nervous as this is a new age group for me to teach!! their will be 4 student in an class and they are beginners in ESL. Any help and tips are really really appreciated !!
thanks in advance

6 Nov 2012      

catesby
United States

How old are these students? Just curious .... I would encourage you to do lots of interactive activities. If they don�t know each other, start with icebreakers. Also, consider the focus of the class. Is it listening/speaking, reading/writing? What are the learning objectives for the class?

6 Nov 2012     

cindyfreksen
Denmark

I am guessing young kids... Decide on a theme eg. the body

Start with a simple song - eg. head and shoulder knees and toes

Show the children your body parts -  No not the naughty bits!  This is my head (point to head) this is my ear (point to ear) etc. Get them to point to their head, ear etc...

Either use flashcards or a powerpoint of the body parts with text - ask what is this? when Pupils answer show them the word and repeat.

Play body parts memory -  pupils have to find the pairs (pictures and words)

Use a bodypart worksheet - there are a lot of good ones on this site.

End with the song again.

(I have a body parts memory game with matching powerpoint) that I can send to you if you like (send a pm with your mail address)

you may want to tell the parent your aims for the lesson - eg. that the pupils can recognise the words for and say these body parts.
Hope that inspires you
Cindy

6 Nov 2012     

ramk
China

probably between 6-8 years. for the demo class there isn �t any specific focus, its more of making sure i get the job by doing whatever i have to to impress the parents. 
 i was told the students are beginners of english since english does not start officially in schools in china until the 3rd grade and the kids are in grade 2.
 what kind of icebreaker can i start with as they know no english at all .

6 Nov 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

a song teaching "Hello, I am..."
Introduce names of objects(classroom objects/toys, etc) repeat/recycle the names lots of times, play memory games with objects ("What �s missing?")
use TPR 

Sophia

6 Nov 2012     

PhilipR
Thailand

Good luck with your dog and pony show ;)

Just relax and try to make it a fun but useful lesson. Don �t make it too difficult and be ready to adapt. Use lots of flash cards. Let the kids say and repeat the vocabulary. Teach short phrases. Don �t sit in your chair the whole lesson but move around. Hand out an easy, short worksheet and go around helping and correcting. Dress nicely and smile a lot. China is about appearance as well as substance. 

I would probably use flash cards with numbers, colors or animals. Other posters try to be helpful, but keep in mind that these kids might not have any English skills whatsoever and may not be willing to sing. So keep it easy (just try to explain the concept of �whats missing in Chinese�, not easy unless you have an assistant). As you may have noticed, China is quite different from the west.

Possible worksheets could be letter tracing, color by number, match words with pictures or pictures with pictures, match small and capital letters etc.

6 Nov 2012     

papadeli
Greece

I �d choose 7-8 English words that  sound the same in Chinese.

sofa ... sha fa
chocolate 巧克力
toast 土司 
hamburger 漢堡 
sofa 沙發
T-shirt T恤
cartoon 卡通
ham 洋火腿
tomato 番茄
camera 相機
card 卡片
guitar 吉他
I don �t speak Chinese but this is what I can find. It�s what I do with my Greek students. It really works and parents get impressed. If you have an interactive board, this site is great!!
Greetings from Greece,

7 Nov 2012     

ramk
China

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions and help !! :)

15 Nov 2012