Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Need your help so badly    

Need your help so badly

Urpi
Peru

Need your help so badly

Hi dear colleagues:
I need your help urgently. I need to improve my writing I have to teach how to write essays. How can I teach that if I am not good at it. I really suck.
But that is a new course that I will be teching in two weeks. Please it is not that I offer myself to take it, but the headmaster of my institute thinks I can do it but I do not feel confident. Help me :(

6 Nov 2012      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

You need a good coursebook. For you to improve your knowledge of the subject I would recommend Successful Writing Proficiency by Express Publishing, you can see the description here.
Also there are plenty of materials here on the site

Here are some tips

Sophia

6 Nov 2012     

papadeli
Greece

Here �s a persuasive essay outline generator .

Greetings from Greece,

6 Nov 2012     

Pelletrine
France

Wow Sophia and Papadeli: great advice and links
- thank you!!! Could be useful for more than Urpi ;o))) 

- Urpi: Your heads support you: no doubt: you �ll learn, and be able to use what you learn with your students!!! GO GO GO!!!

6 Nov 2012     

Urpi
Peru

Thanks a lot dear friends, :)

6 Nov 2012     

mariajosefuster
Spain

The first day of class I make them write a composition, and so I know which level they have.

Then I work for many days with the mistakes they have made (maybe 35 sentences with mistakes). I write the most common ones on a sheet of paper which I give each one of them and after explaining the most common mistakes (without showing them in the paper), they have to correct them.
If there is a mistake per sentence, it is easier. If you underline the word, it is even easier. i don �t usually make it so easy for tehm. The mos common mistakes are word order, tenses, possessive and personal pronouns...
We are working with these mistakes for days. They try to correct them in pairs and the next day, we correct some ones.
Then, sometimes I do it again., I make them write a composition, make a worksheet with their mistakes and then we start again, always explaining the mistakes in general adter starting. It is very useful.
After that, I would explain some connectors, making exercises and they shoul try to use them in another composition.
Then, give them specific vocabulary (for example environment) and make them write a composition using it and the connectors, taking into account the mistakes ...
I think I have explained many of the things I do. They really learn to write quite well this way.

MJ

7 Nov 2012