Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Games with Flashcards    

Games with Flashcards

SaraMariam
United States

Games with Flashcards

Hello everybody :)

I thought I �d open up a little post about games. I often have parents or other teachers come to me asking me what to do with flashcards (except for showing them to the kids). 
So I thought maybe we could do a little collection of ideas that everybody can benefit from?

My ideas usually are:

- "What �s missing" (put all the cards in one line, have the students close their eyes and take away 1,2,3 cards - they have to guess which one is missing)

- charades (one student picks a card and acts out what he/she sees either with gestures, mimics or sound, the rest of the class is guessing) 
same can be done with drawing

- if teaching small groups and I sometimes hide the cards in the room, call out a card and the student �s have to look for the right one (to make things easier with the picture side up, to make it harder, down)

- "guess what it is" (I cut a small hole in a paper and hold it over a flashcard so only a little part can be seen, the students have to ask which card it is)

Well, that �s it from my part. I �m curious to hear what ideas come to your mind :)

Have a great day ;)
Hugs
Sara

8 Nov 2012      

edrodmedina
United States

Hello. There �s always the game of concentration. You place the flashcards face downn and students can take turns flipping two cards over to match either, picture with picture, picture with word or word with word. I have found that students enjoy this very much. Ed

8 Nov 2012     

class centre
Belarus

When teaching the is it...? form I use flashcards also. I hold one of them back to the sts and they have to ask - is it a dog? I answer No, it isn �t etc. The one who guesses - gets the card ( just to hold) Wink
I do this each time I need to practice colours or weather, jobs or animals etc.
I �m eager to see what other teachers do as well.
Thanks

8 Nov 2012     

marie.marron
Spain

I play boys and girls. I divide the class in boys and girls (if it �s too large in two groups of each) and they take turns, one student takes the card and has to explain it (without showing) and the others have to guess. Sometimes I use a sandglass and if they guess it correctly I give them a point, if they don �t I give other group an opportunity. The winner is the group with more points. They like competing and have lots of fun.

Regards,
Marie

8 Nov 2012     

Iran

Thanks a million

8 Nov 2012     

papadeli
Greece

Games 1

Greetings from Greece,

8 Nov 2012     

miss K.
Ukraine

British concil has a free to download book somewhere on how to use flashcards. You can also play shap with them. It �ll hlelp if there are four kinds of each card, but two of a kind will do too. Divide the cards between players (at least two), each player puts the stack face down. Take turns in taking a card and naming it. If two cards are the same (or opposite with opposites) the pklayer shouts "snap" and covers the cards with hands, takes them al and puts them under his pile of cards. This game teaches vocabulary but if you have cards with words on it , it �ll also teach reading. 

Idea from dreamenglish.com stack blocks or paper cups between them put cards. Students either name a card, or pick up a card they are told, or make a sentence with a card.
Same principle applies to another game, only here sts have to throw a ball into a backet, or a box. 

8 Nov 2012     

SaraMariam
United States

Those are really great ideas so far, thanks everybody :). Maybe we can collect even more :)
Miss K, i was looking for the book of the british council, but couldn �t find it anywhere. You don �t have a link by any chance?

8 Nov 2012     

frenchfrog
France

Old post

8 Nov 2012     

Lucia13
Armenia

Here are my favourite 10 Flashcard Activities

8 Nov 2012