Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > not tall .... not short     

not tall .... not short

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

not tall .... not short

Hi,

What can we call a person who isn �t tall , not short ??

and

What can we call a person who isn �t fat, not thin??

Can we say he she is chubby??

Thanks a lot in advance
Pretty3

9 Nov 2012      

MoodyMoody
United States

I would say I am average height (5 �5" or 165 cm) for a woman. Likewise, someone who is neither fat nor thin is average weight. Chubby is a little fat, especially for a girl. It doesn �t have as much stigma as fat, although any synonym of fat has some stigma, at least in the USA.

9 Nov 2012     

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

Thank you

9 Nov 2012     

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

Thank you

9 Nov 2012     

tubbyteacher
Turkey

She is of medium height.
She is of medium weight.

9 Nov 2012     

Messdjef
Algeria

I think that you can also use "fairly" (= moderately) as in "she is fairly fat / thin".  

9 Nov 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

You are right, tubbyteacher. "Medium" works, too. (By the way, "tubby" is yet another synonym for fat!)

Messdjef, fairly or moderately still says fat/thin/tall/short, but not to an extreme. My mother is fairly tall for a woman (5 �8" or 173 cm). She is still tall, but not as much as a basketball player or a model.

9 Nov 2012     

yanogator
United States

I agree with MoodyMoody. In the US, we usually say "average height or weight". "Medium" works, too, but isn �t nearly as common.

Bruce

9 Nov 2012