Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Use of translation for teaching English    

Use of translation for teaching English

Messdjef
Algeria

Use of translation for teaching English

Hello everybody !
Do you use translation when you teach English to your students ? I mean as an exercise. If yes, how and which objectives do you target with that ?

10 Nov 2012      

mjpa
Spain

I know translating is not very well regarded as a teaching tool, but it works wonderfully for me (private tutor) since it allows me to make my students practise and review both vocabulary and grammar at the same time. 

10 Nov 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I use it as an exercise to compare structures of our own language and English, also to check my ss � knowledge of the vocabulary we �ve previously learnt. I am talking about the backwards translation from the native language into English. It gives them a more logical perspective in understanding grammar notions. I wouldn �t do it all the time though, just every once in a while.
Sophia

10 Nov 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

Since my students speak many different languages, and I don �t speak all of them, I never give translation exercises. I teach exclusively in English. I actually find that students who don �t speak the same language as any other student in the class tend to learn faster.

10 Nov 2012     

Messdjef
Algeria

Do you know it ? With translation, we can teach spelling, grammar, vocabulary and even comprehension. For the three first points, translation must be from native language to English. For the last point however, it must be from English to native language.

For spelling, you can give your students words in native language (choose the ones that lead to English words in which your students have problems) and then draw their attention to the mistakes.
For grammar, give your students sentences in native language and then draw their attention to syntactic mistakes (the structure of the sentence differs from a language to another).

(...)

For comprehension, give your students a sentence or a short paragraph written in English and ask them to translate it into their native language. In this activity, focus only on the comprehension of the message conveyed by that sentence / paragraph.   

11 Nov 2012     

alvinaash
United States

Our creator desire assist ye art a bill to that amount has an large quotation style. If thou worried about the formatting styles, we are well enormous in formatting styles. Here some the formatting patterns up to expectation we are knowledgeable: 

11 May 2018