Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Oral Exams    

Oral Exams

EstherLee76
Peru

Oral Exams

Hi,

I have a student who is nervous about her upcoming PET Oral Exam.  She often breaks down during practice exams, especially when she can �t think of the word she wants to say.

I am looking for a list of phrases that she can say when she gets into these situations. I have been looking through the printables but I haven�t exactly found anything helpful.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks as always,
Esther

10 Nov 2012      

emece
Spain

In the first part (personal information), prepare with her all kinds of topics that usually appears in PET exams (your town your family, hobbies, etc), in order to get confidence; In the second part (simulated situation), she has to learn perfectly estructures about suggesstions, agreement or disagreement, expressions of opinion,...); In the third part (describing a photo), teach to her how to do it correctly. Finally, in the last part, it�s useful the language about likes/dislikes, opinions, preferences,...It�s a question of practice and practice to be less nervous in the exam

10 Nov 2012     

EstherLee76
Peru

Thanks so much for your input emece.  It �s very detailed!
She can do all these.  It �s just that she gets nervous and shuts down.  I wanted to give her phrases like "Let me think about it."  "I can �t remember the word.", etc.  Things like that.  And to give her strageties for when she gets stuck.

10 Nov 2012     

cindyfreksen
Denmark

A few years ago I compiled a list of �fillers � to help my students to �buy time � in an exam situation- here they are:

Useful phrases for the exam!

Could you please repeat the question?

I am sorry I didn�t quite catch that, could you say it again?

Could you rephrase that please?

I am not sure I understand exactly what you mean, could you be more precise?

I am sorry I am not sure that I fully understand the question, do you mean�?

That is a good question, I need a minute or two to think about it.

It is on the tip of my tongue.

Can I come back to that later?

I believe that�

I think that�

It is my opinion that�

That reminds me of �

I saw a programme on the television about that�

That is a good point, however�

I don�t know much about that, but I can tell you �

I don�t remember having read anything on that subject, but we have read about�

Another trick/helpful tip was to make a list of all of the words and phrases that were subject specific for the themes that we had through the year.

Most important of all boost her confidence, praise her for what she CAN do. I always say to my pupils the exam is about showing off what you can do and hiding what you can �t!

Good luck
Cindy

11 Nov 2012     

izulia
China

Thank you Cindy,
That �s a useful list!

11 Nov 2012     

EstherLee76
Peru

Yes, Cindy.  That �s really great.  I can �t thank you enough!

11 Nov 2012     

papadeli
Greece

Worksheet 1

Greetings from Greece,

11 Nov 2012