Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > HELP AGAIN!!!    

HELP AGAIN!!!

araveg
Spain

HELP AGAIN!!!

Hi,dear friends.

I need your help about this sentences.

1- I wrote some days ago : "I bought myself a dress with my mother" is it ok????. It doesn �t sound very well. must  I say "my mother and I bought a dress for me"?.

2-Can you use the verb celebrate for birthdays.

3- Can you san "last saturday was my birthday" or you must say "last saturday it was my birthday"?

4- When you refer to a floating for kids,  for your arms how do you say? : sleeves, armbands, water wings or can you say floating pads .
And if you refer to a floating for your waist, do you say rubber ring or is there another way? I said rubber ring last thursday and they didn �t understand.

5- Can you say "during the weekend I went to the park"?or must you say "Last weekend I went to the park"?

THANKS A LOT

11 Nov 2012      

pilarmham
Spain

1. I would rather say I bought myself a dress while shopping with my mother.
2. Yes, we often celebrate birthdays.
3. Both are correct.
4. That I don �t know
5. I would say Last weekend we went to the park

11 Nov 2012     

cindyfreksen
Denmark

1. is ok. However it is better in Pilarmham �s version.
2. Yesterday we celebrated the Queen �s birthday... I celebrate my birthday every year... yup it is a verb :-)
3. I agree with Pilarmham.
4. I think that you are asking about flotation devises... Water wings would be found in the USA, Armbands are used in England. You would wear a rubber ring around your waist in England and I also think it is called that in the USA, but I could be mistaken. Floats are those oblong bricks made of polystyrene that you can hold in your hands or between your knees.
4. It depends on what you are trying to say! During indicates a period of time, so I would expect to get more information about either the weekend, the park or maybe the week... Last weekend we went to the park. indicates a complete statement that needs not additions. You just want to tell me what you did last weekend.
Hope it helps

11 Nov 2012     

Apodo
Australia

Swim ring / inflatable swim ring is a more common term - They aren �t usually made of rubber these days.

In Australia we use the name Floaties , which is actually a brand name, for inflatable armbands.

12 Nov 2012     

araveg
Spain

THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO EVERYBODY FOR HELPING ME.

KIND REGARDS

12 Nov 2012