Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > ?    

?

cananaydin
Turkey

?

Can we say �I study between 2 and 3 � instead �from 2 to 3 � ? or which one is more commonly used?

13 Nov 2012      

serzt
Turkey

BAD: Children between three to five go to kindergarten.
GOOD: Children between three and five go to kindergarten.
BAD: Between June 1987 to March 1990 I was in France.
GOOD: From June 1987 to March 1990 I was in France.
BAD: It will take them between six to eight weeks to finish it.
GOOD: It will take them between six and eight weeks to finish it.
◆◆◆
Use between ... and or from ... to (NOT between ... to ).

If something happens between or in between two times or events, it happens after the first time or event and before the second one.
The canal was built between 1793 and 1797...

in the period of time that separates two days, years, events, etc.: It�s cheaper between 6 p.m. and 8 a.m.  Don�t eat between meals.  Children must attend school between the ages of 5 and 16.  Many changes took place between the two world wars.

We should arrive between 9 and 10 o �clock.

Since studying from 2 to three sounds like a non-stop process using between doesn �t sound OK.

13 Nov 2012     

yanogator
United States

serzt is right that "from 2 to 3" indicates that the entire time is used for studying, while "between 2 and 3" could be the entire time, or any portion of that hour, so both are correct, but they are not exactly the same.

Bruce

13 Nov 2012