Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I NEED ADVICE    

I NEED ADVICE

nuroma
Spain

I NEED ADVICE

Hello dear teachers,
I need your advice. I am a private teacher and there is a student in one of my groups who has many... "mood changes"?. Sometimes he is hard-working and a great student and other days he is bad-tempered and if I ask him to do something he refuses to do it. What can I do or what can I say to him when he behaves like that??
For example, the other day I told my students what we were going to do during the class, first, some routines, then a reading comprehension worksheet and at the end of the class some computer games. He didn �t want to do the worksheet, so he couldn �t play with the computer. He was 30 minutes with his arms crossed. And I know he sometimes do the same in his school.

Thanks in advance.

17 Nov 2012      

mramir52
Spain

Try to gather some info about his background.
He might have family issues, be lacking something emotionally or just have had a bad day and show it that way.
Get in touch with his school tutor or even his parents if you can.
Knowing first hand what �s that kid everyday like will greatly help you understand why does he behave that way.
As far as I can tell, you may know someone too well, but never understand him/her completely. We �re all unique in our own way. We all need to have our space and our things (secrets if you like).
He might be just Libra (if you believe in the horoscope), swinging his mood back and forth every now and then.

17 Nov 2012     

memthefirst
Turkey

First ignore him.Then go on praising the achieving students.(If he realises you care about his reaction he �ll do it again and again and it �ll become a habit.He �ll think he gets praised even when he doesn �t do his responsibilities.) Students should learn "No pain No gain."On the other hand If he has some personal or family problems and he simply needs care and love you can help him by talking to him about during breaks.You can even visit his family.But never praise him when he �s just done something wrong.

17 Nov 2012     

nuroma
Spain

Thanks for your advices and your time. I �m going to talk with his parents and let see..
Tnaks! ;)

18 Nov 2012