Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Hand in to or hand into?    

Hand in to or hand into?

spinney
United Kingdom

Hand in to or hand into?

Hi People!

Sorry to be a bother and all that but I �m busy writing a phrasal verb exercise and I have a doubt. I have written the following:

She found a wallet containing �100 which she promptly handed in to the nearest police station.

Should it be: She found a wallet containing �100 which she promptly handed into the nearest police station? or is it OK.

What �s the rule on that anyway? I can �t remember but I know it �s something pretty much black and white and my other half has nicked my grammar book so I �m kind of in the dark here. Cry

18 Nov 2012      

Mariethe House
France

i have no grammar explanation dear spinney but The verb is a prepositionnal verb . An example: I handed in my assignment yesterday. And if you want to specify  who to, you will have to say I handed it in to my English teacher who has been raking his brain all day over a tricky rule of the English languageBig smile you would not hand it into your English teacher, would you???Big smile
I don �t know if that will help you but I did my best!!Big smile

Edit :@ Bruce: Thank you for correcting meSmile  That would indeed have been very painful for such a nice person as spinney!!Big smile

18 Nov 2012     

adital
Israel

Hi Spinney,
The correct way is: handed in to the nearest police station.
To hand into is not a phrasal verb and frankly, I can �t think of an example where "hand into" can work.

18 Nov 2012     

Zora
Canada

The correct phrasal is �hand in � which basically means give as you already know.

�Into � implies a literal movement of something: put it into the box. You are putting the object in the box.

If you were to say -She found a wallet containing �100 which she promptly handed into the nearest police station - we �d all understand it, although grammatically it means she put the wallet in the police station., not that she gave it to the police.

I think that the preposition �to � is what is causing you the problem. Make a sentence without the �to � and you will see the phrasal is �hand in � and not �hand into �. I handed in the wallet to the police. OR I handed in the worksheet. 

18 Nov 2012     

yanogator
United States

@Mariethe, I thinjk you mean "racking his brain". Raking it would be very painful.  Wink

Yes, it is definitely "hand it in to", although you will see the other far too often these days, since people logically guess that "into" is used with motion, and there is motion involved here. A few years ago I saw an instruction in a textbook to "turn the completed paper into your instructor", but Harry Potter wasn �t available for this amazing transformation, so the students had to turn it in to me instead.

Bruce

18 Nov 2012     

cbestanol
Philippines

the phrase is "hand in" so it would be proper to use "hand in to" not "hand into"
by the way, i, myself could not think of an example where the phrase "hand into" could be properly used...

18 Nov 2012     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hi Spinney!

check these, might be useful:

http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/hand_2
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hand+in?s=t

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/hand-sth-in?q=hand+in#hand-sth-in__2

18 Nov 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

hand something  in (to somebody)

(British English also give something in (to somebody)) to give something to a person in authority, especially a piece of work or something that is lostYou must all hand in your projects by the end of next week.I handed the watch in to the police.to hand in your notice/resignation (= formally tell your employer that you want to stop working for them)
http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/hand_2#hand_2__23

18 Nov 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hiya Spinney - I think it �s high time your other half handed your grammar back back into you. Wink
Edit: isn�t English funny????

18 Nov 2012     

SaraMariam
United States

An example for hand into would be more like: turn your hand into a bluff or something of that kind :p

18 Nov 2012     

spinney
United Kingdom

Wow!!! Thanks for the help people. I �ll post the exercise up there later. Very nice to have so many people lending me a hand. You �re all stars!Star

18 Nov 2012