Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Come across or come across with?    

Come across or come across with?

marinamc
Spain

Come across or come across with?

Hi colleagues!

I �m just correcting some compositions and there �s a sentences I �m not sure about. I �d like to know your opinion about it, if possible.

"Since I have been considering the wheel �s importance for humankind, I came across with two other capital inventions"

My question is: Is came across with well used here? Should we only use came across? I �ve been checking some online dictionaries and the answer is yes, though for me it still sounds weird.

Thanks for your help :)

Marina

19 Nov 2012      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

come across somebody/something

[no passive] to meet or find somebody/something by chanceI came across children sleeping under bridges.She came across some old photographs in a drawer.

come across (with something)

[no passive] to provide or supply something when you need itI hoped she �d come across with some more information.
from here 
Does it help?
Sophia

19 Nov 2012     

yanogator
United States

What Sophia found is just right. It should be "came across".

Bruce

19 Nov 2012     

marinamc
Spain

Thanks a lot for your help. I also found that. It sounded weird to me but I needed some doubled check. 

Thanks again!!!!

Marina

19 Nov 2012     

mohamedthabet
Tunisia

Sorry,I think it can �t be correct to use since +present perfect  in the 1st clause and then simple past in the second.
 If "since" is used as time indicator (indicating when action or state started), it should be followed by simple past and then use present perfect (simple or continuous)  in the 2nd clause.
If since is meant to give reason, then again the result can �t precede the cause chronologically.
( I came = result / I �ve been considering = reason or cause)

19 Nov 2012