Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Plural of homework    

Plural of homework

manonski (f)
Canada

Plural of homework

Hi

I have a question concerning the word "homework". I �m preparing an activity for my students using the 12 Days of Christmas and I want my students to write a version of the song. As an example, I prepared the 12 days of Christmas, teacher version.

Here is an example:

On the fourth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me
4 homework at home
3 lost pencils
2 runny noses and
a student who missed his schoolbus.

How would you write homework? Would you put a plural form to it? I �ve never seen it written with an "s".  

20 Nov 2012      

Pelletrine
France

The Free Dictionary gives these definitions:
home�work  (hmw�rk)
n.
1. Work, such as schoolwork or piecework, that is done at home.
2. Preparatory or preliminary work: did their homework before coming to the meeting.

Noun
1.homework - preparatory school work done outside school (especially at home)homework - preparatory school work done outside school (especially at home)
school assignmentschoolwork - a school task performed by a student to satisfy the teacher
didacticseducationeducational activityinstructionpedagogyteaching - the activities of educating or instructing; activities that impart knowledge or skill; "he received no formal education"; "our instruction was carefully programmed"; "good classroom teaching is seldom rewarded"

- "Homeworks" sounds really odd : maybe you could use "assignments" instead ?

"works" are, as far as I know, only those (piececes) of art work done by artists.
No, I don �t think you can say 4 homeworks, but you can say 4 homework assignments/ a lot of homework/their homework....
hope it helps
what would a native speaker say ?

20 Nov 2012     

ayouda
Tunisia

Homework is the plural and singular form. 
"They all had a ton of homework to turn in."
"Today I received only one piece of homework."
"The students � homework scores have shown significant improvement."

20 Nov 2012     

sweet hannah
Egypt

I believe there is no "homeworks � .

If you want to put it in plural , you can use " homework tasks " or " homework assignments "

20 Nov 2012     

karka30
Poland

Homework is uncountable.
You can �t have 1 or 2 of them. As you can �t have 1 or 2 water
It �s always homework as a whole set of tasks.

My homework was difficult. 
Our teacher �s assigned us little homework to do.

But:
we had to do 2 exercises (you can count it) for our homework (general, uncountable)

20 Nov 2012     

Jayho
Australia

4 homework tasks is the best fit Manon

BTW, very creative Thumbs Up

20 Nov 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

How about "lessons" if you want to stick to two syllables? Or even "four lessons left at home" for some extra alliteration? Karka is right; homework is non-count/uncountable.

20 Nov 2012