Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Need your opinion    

Need your opinion

chud
Israel

Need your opinion

I �ve just given this daily tip on my English Learning Group in the Facebook. I �d appreciate your opinion on it:
My daily tip: guys, for God �s sake, don �t try to speak natively before you reach an upper advanced level! Go step by step. Speak in short, clear and grammatically correct sentences. As soon as you manage to express yourselves this way, you gain confidence and your English becomes more automatic, you also begin to speak faster. I neither speak natively myself, so what? It �s MISSION IMPOSSIBLE unless you live in an English speaking country at least for a year. This summer I got to know some people from Lithuania, whose Russian wasn �t native , but it was very good and impressive; I respect them for that. Let �s follow their example instead of trying to speak natively before we can say "I �ve got a son and a daughter" correctly... Don �t worry, I �ve been there...

Thank you in advance,

Liza.

21 Nov 2012      

juliag
Japan

Hi Liza,

It looks fine, but I would say "speak like a native," instead of "speak natively." Hope this helps.

21 Nov 2012     

perma
Greece

Hi
I agree with Julia. Also I �m not sure if "neither" is grammatically correct in this sentence: 
I neither speak natively myself, so what? 
I �d say "I don �t speak"  

21 Nov 2012     

juliag
Japan

Yes, Perma �s right Smile. Sorry I missed it. "I don �t speak..." or "I don �t speak English like a native, either. So what?"

I �d also say: for at least a year

21 Nov 2012     

Jayho
Australia

In my opinion I�d leave out the religious reference. Although a common expression, at the end of the day it is still blasphemy and will be offensive/disrespectful to some of your readers.

My suggestion is that you replace it with for Pete�s sake or for goodness sake

Cheers

Jayho

21 Nov 2012     

JCVF
Colombia

dear pal, you should not worry about the native speaking issue.
something beautiful is to never lose your roots and your heritage.
accent is heritage, it is beautiful.
as long as you use vocabulary correctly na dgrammar structures in a concise way, no problem
you�ll be speaking natively with an accent, thatś all.

21 Nov 2012