Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > which verb i should use    

which verb i should use

pinkblossom
Germany

which verb i should use

Dear Friends,

I have difficulty in finding the right verb

The magic stick enhanted/bewitched the lazy boy into the active one

Thanks in advance

21 Nov 2012      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Definitely not enhanted:)

Sophia

21 Nov 2012     

pyes
New Zealand

I would go with "transformed" Also your last article is incorrect...It should read:
The magic stick transformed the lazy boy into an active one.

21 Nov 2012     

pilarmham
Spain

Why not "enhanted", Sophia? If one of the two answers is correct, I would go for "enhant". If other words are possible, "transformed", "turned" are fine. 

We are outside the story, pyes, how can we say if he was "an active one" or "the active one"?

21 Nov 2012     

pinkblossom
Germany

its too confusing for me, im looking for which verb is too common in order to be used with the
magic stick? may be there are other verbs,

thanks anyway

21 Nov 2012     

yanogator
United States

A native speaker would probably say
The magic wand changed the lazy boy into an active one.

Your word should be "enchanted", not "enhanted", and neither of your choices works in the situation.

Bruce

21 Nov 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Bruce is right. Or possibly �turned �. If you really want to put across the idea of it working its magic, you would have to say that. � The magic wand miraculously .... � Can anybody tell me where to get one, btw? 

22 Nov 2012     

cindyfreksen
Denmark

You can use these words you just need to use alternate punctuation:

The magic stick enhanted the lazy boy; it turned/transformed him into an active one

The magic stick bewitched the lazy boy; he became active.

I think that you may want to use the word wand instead of stick - A stick is a bit of wood usually fallen off a tree therefore irregular in shape. A magic wand is a the item that wizards, witches and other magic beings use cast spells with. Usually accompanied with such words as Hocus Pocus or Abracadabra or shasham.

Cunliffe you can buy magic wands on the net, just google it!! I think Amazon have a neat line in them :-)

Cindy

22 Nov 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thank you, Cindy. I �ve ordered a deluxe version. I am worried about this word �enhant � though! Guys, it �s enchant.

22 Nov 2012     

MarionG
Netherlands

cunliffe, it definitely enhanced the boy...Wink

and... could you tell me where to order, I want one too!! (does it work on husbands as well?)

22 Nov 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Oh, I didn �t think of enhance! No, my dear Marion, magic wands don �t work on husbands; what you need is good old fashioned charm. Failing that, a whip works nicely. Wink

22 Nov 2012     

1    2    Next >