Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help plzzzzzz    

help plzzzzzz

zuzuhany
Egypt

help plzzzzzz

Hi everyone , i need help  with following sentences . can any body explain to me what those sentences mean ? i �ll be reaaly grateful  
#

To be grounded in the idea of species, where better to startthan something familiar, something that by any other name wouldsmell as sweet.

#

botaniststell us there are over 100 species, yet membersof some species showmore variation than samples that are declared to be separate species.

When we got our hands and green thumbs on them, defining speciesbecame an even more thorny issue

23 Nov 2012      

yanogator
United States

zuzu,
I might not give you enough of an explanation, because I don �t know exactly what confuses you about these sentences. Let me know if you need more.

To get a good foundation in understanding what species are, we should start with a rose, which is familiar to all of us.  (This is a literary reference to Romeo and Juliet, in the line "That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet").

It is common for some things in the same species to be more different from one another than two things in different species. When we actually worked with them, it became even more difficult and troublesome to define species.

[To have a green thumb means to be good at growing plants]

Bruce

23 Nov 2012     

cindyfreksen
Denmark

I will have a go!

To be grounded in the idea of species, where better to start than with something familiar, something that by any other name would smell as sweet.

This is obviously from a book about biology. I imagine that it is trying to explain about categorising plant. The idea that they can be grouped after species - for example Roses. Something that by any other name would smell as sweet is a reference to Romeo and Juliet.

What �s in a name? that which we call a rose
      By any other name would smell as sweet;

botanists tell us there are over 100 species, yet members of some species show more variation than samples that are declared to be separate species.

Botanists have identified over 100 different types (let �s just say Roses here as I think that it will make it easier), however within some of these categories the roses don �t always look alike, indeed they can look more like roses from other categories.

When we got our hands and green thumbs on them, defining species became an even more thorny issue

When we took a closer look at them it became even harder to put them into categories.

Green thumbs is a reference to people who are good at getting things to grow - they have green fingers.

A thorny issue is something that is difficult/tricky

I hope this helps!

Cindy

23 Nov 2012