Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Low Self Esteem    

Low Self Esteem

karka30
Poland

Low Self Esteem

Dear Friends,

I need your help.
I �ve got a student, an 11-year-old boy who has problems with his self esteem. He is one of the best students, looking good, not in any difficult situation, yet he is oversensitive.
He has problems with his self esteem and confidence. During classes (not only mine) he always knows the answers but rarely speaks up if you don �t ask him. 
The biggest problem is that sometimes he gets into trouble with his classmates. Bullying is not the right terms but sometimes he gets teased (as many kids in this class but they somehow cope with it) and he doesn �t. I had 2 solve 2 such cases last week and I really feel sorry for this boy who can �t cope with himself the way other kids can. And I would like to give him some support - teach him self-esteem (as this is to be learnt I heard)
My question is:
Do you have any activities, ideas how to work 1 to 1 with such a student on his self esteem?
Hope you do!:)

Have a good weekend

Karolina

23 Nov 2012      

spinney
United Kingdom

How about team quizzes? The other kids would love him to be in their team if he �s good at the subject.

23 Nov 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

http://busyteacher.org/13582-7-sure-fire-ways-to-boost-student-confidence.html

Sophia

23 Nov 2012     

elderberrywine
Germany

This seems to be a problem having to do with his personality, not with English lessons.

I do not think that a teacher is able to do much about this problem (with which at least one child per class is affected). It must be dealt with at home, maybe with help from outside. Have you spoken to his parents ?

Singling out such a child for a 1:1 self esteem session in class is not what will make the group accept him better.
"Teaching self-esteem" sounds very difficult for me, as the first thing you would have to know where his lack of self-esteem stems from. It could have lots of different reasons, some might be very delicate.

On top of that, if I was the mother of this child and found out that a teacher was beginning to work on his self-esteem with him without letting me know beforehand or finding a common agreement, I would be very angry.

So don �t ask too much of yourself . You can fight bullying situations in class and make sure the others don �t seriously berate this boy, but unless you are psychologist, in my view, don �t make any other attempts.

24 Nov 2012