Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Organizing yourself    

Organizing yourself

mjpa
Spain

Organizing yourself

I know this is a topic which has been asked here several times before  but I would like to know how do you organise yourselves to keep in your computer all the material you use for teaching. I mean,  after several years working, I�m becoming mad with so many materials. And in the last months i�m becoming especially worried because my computer is quite old now and maybe someday it�ll just break out and i don�t want to loose all my things here. I�ve got so many worksheets mine and from this site and others, books, audios, videos and so on that i don�t know how to keep them all. I try to make backup copies and all those things but it�s really boring for me to try to keep all the things each time i get something new. I mean, from time to time i make backup copies but obviously, not everyday, so how do you do?
I have also "discovered" recently sites like dropbox where you can keep your material online. It�s a great idea but most of them are not free. So, any ideas?

24 Nov 2012      

ss73
Turkey

I also have the same problem... so I �m looking forward to the replies here...
And I �ve also heard about dropbox... Do you think it �s safe?

24 Nov 2012     

goospanish
Mexico

well I just did a total backup of everything to external hard drive.
I went to my documents then on edit did select all   then  went to hard drive
made file and copied all into that file.   The giving directions took 1 min  the transfer
45 minutes.

This did not organize anything was just a mass copy.

24 Nov 2012     

mjpa
Spain

ss73, i don�t know if it�s safe. It�s good if you want to share files with other people, but the free room in th site is very limited and i�ve already reached it so .......

And goospanish, the problem i find is that i keep getting new things everyday, and making backup copies frequently is not very useful. Moreover, you would have to erase the files before for example in the hard drive, and copying everything again. Not very useful i think

24 Nov 2012     

Shalottslady
Belgium

I have made different maps and submaps in my documents. More or less the same categories as you find here: Grammar (submaps e.g. mixed tenses, simple past vs present perfect, irregular verbs, ...) Games, Vocabulary, Reading, Listening, Exams June, Exams X-mas, ... It helps me a little bit to remain a master in my chaos. However, very often I find myself using my search-aid to find certain worksheets or tests or whatever... ;)
An external hard drive will help you save everything. And of course you do not need to do this weekly, but depending on how often you add things, monthly or so. It doesn �t take all that long if you do it regularly.
I hope this has been of any help to you...

Kind regards and the best of luck!

Karina

24 Nov 2012     

ogretmen1978
Turkey

Are u try google drive?
I �m using that. I highly recommend.
And you can share your documents there.

24 Nov 2012     

mjpa
Spain

I had not heard of google drive before. How does it work? Is it free?

25 Nov 2012