Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Heeeeeeeeelp please    

Heeeeeeeeelp please

ayouda
Tunisia

Heeeeeeeeelp please

Please would you explain to me the difference between to be concerned with and to be engaged with in the following sentence?. which one is more suitable in this context ? Is it concerned with?

The financial district in London  is primarily 5-( related � concerned � engaged ) with the socialhistory of London and its inhabitants throughout history.

26 Nov 2012      

yanogator
United States

I don �t know about British English, but in the US, we don �t say "engaged with". We have "engaged in", which means "participating in" or "doing" - It �s an activity.

"Concerned with" means something similar to "about" - dealing with, interested in.

We also don �t say "related with", so the only reasonable choice is "concerned with".

Bruce

26 Nov 2012     

Apodo
Australia

Because of the meaning of the sentence, I would choose �engaged �. I would also use the past perfect has been because it �s talking about an ongoing historical involvement. 
The financial district in London  has been primarily engaged with the social history of London and its inhabitants throughout history.
en�gaged (n-gjd)
adj.
1. Employed, occupied, or busy.
2. Committed, as to a cause.
3. Pledged to marry; betrothed: an engaged couple.
4. Involved in conflict or battle.
5. Being in gear; meshed.
6. Partly embedded in, built into, or attached to another part, as columns on a wall.

26 Nov 2012     

yanogator
United States

So, Apodo, "engaged with" is used in British English (or at least in the Aussie version of it)?

Thanks,
Bruce

26 Nov 2012     

Apodo
Australia

@ Bruce,
It sounds OK to me - others may not agree of course - I �d be interested to hear from someone else -used for formal rather than everday speech.

He �s currently engaged with his work on the new design. (Meaning 1)

I �m engaged in a new project at the Art Centre. (Meaning 2)

In the sentence about London I see the meaning as describing an ongoing intertwined historical relationship between the financial district and social history. The two have been equally linked - one has been engaged with the other.

26 Nov 2012     

ayouda
Tunisia

Smile  Thank you so much dear colleagues ,i appreciate your help
Have a nice dayThumbs Up

27 Nov 2012     

sa3ida
Tunisia

I totally agree with yanogator I think concerned with is the appropriate option.
to be concerned with means to be interested in
and engaged in means to be taking part  or participating in something

27 Nov 2012     

Dr. Ahmad El-Maghraby
Egypt

Both the tense (present simple) and the use of the adverb "primarily" in the sentence suggest that " the "major concern" (not the major engagement) of the financial district in London is the social history of London and its inhabitants throughout history. So, the social history of London is the financial district major. Thus, "concerned" here is the most appropriate option. But changing the tense from present simple into present perfect - as suggested by Apodo - may make the use of "engaged" a more appropriate choice. The use of "throughout history", on the other hand, is actually compatible with present perfect. So, I think this sentence is an ambiguous one. Moreover, AmEng use the following collocations more often : related to - concerned with - engaged in. Therefore, Ayouda is to check the core-text, whether it is American or British. Thank you.

27 Nov 2012