Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > What does it mean?    

What does it mean?

pure83
Poland

What does it mean?

Hi!

Can you help me? What does the expression "send a statemen" mean?

It isn �t a bank statement because a person is buying trousers at a shop and a shop assistant asks: 

Do you want to pay with a credit card or shall we send you a statement?

Thank you in advance. 

28 Nov 2012      

douglas
United States

I would never say it that way, but I �m sure they are referring to sending them a "bill" for the goods.

28 Nov 2012     

Apodo
Australia

I �ve never heard statement used that way.

An account or a bill seems to be what is meant.

28 Nov 2012     

cardinal
United Kingdom

I agree with Apodo - A statement is the total owing at any one time. So if there is just one purchase, the statement would be for the same amount as a bill or invoice.

28 Nov 2012     

cardinal
United Kingdom

I agree with Apodo - A statement is the total owing at any one time. So if there is just one purchase, the statement would be for the same amount as a bill or invoice.

28 Nov 2012     

Zora
Canada

I agree with the others. I have never heard it used like that. It is probably wrong.

Please, remember that people who create these activities sometimes make mistakes or they �re not English speakers from English speaking countries and don �t understand the difference in usage of certain words.

Lately, I have been helping a few companies, not the big international ones, but nevertheless education related companies, create or correct their workbooks. I have found amazing errors that make me want to cry. Unfortunately, we are in a society that often hires cheaply and from places where English is not people �s first language and the quality of some ESL books makes me shake my head.

28 Nov 2012     

dennismychina
China

The correct phrase would be �pay by credit card or charge it�. Simply meaning charge it to your account with the seller, who will send you a statement (normally at the end of the month) which will show the total amount owed by you for all your purchases plus costs.

I agree with Linda, some of the rubbish that is dished up and called English course books is a shocking disgrace.

28 Nov 2012     

Jayho
Australia

For us downunder the shop assistant will say: "Do you want to pay by cash or Eftpos?"  (Eftpos=electronic financial transaction at point of sale = credit card, direct debit from savings/cheque account or store �s own credit card.) 

I think that what you have been given is outdated - prior to electronic transactions, stores might have charged via an invoice and sent an end of month statement but this no longer happens in stores although many business companies do still invoice business customers and send out end of month activity statements.

28 Nov 2012     

pure83
Poland

Thank you very much for this explanation:-)

28 Nov 2012