Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > the WORD OF THE DAY guessing game is about to die out ---- please participate !!!    

the WORD OF THE DAY guessing game is about to die out ---- please participate !!!

elderberrywine
Germany

the WORD OF THE DAY guessing game is about to die out ---- please participate !!!

One of the most fun and creative types of thread, the Word of the Day, is about to die out, very few people participate.
is it due to a lack of ideas, due to words that simply don �t inspire you, are you all too busy doing Christmas preparations?

28 Nov 2012      

anamia
Croatia

Thanx  for  the reminder!!!
COME  ON  GUYS!
The mistery  word  is:

floccinaucinihilipilification

The  winner  will be chosen tomorrow afternoon, so  pliiiiiiiiizzzzzzzzzz
don �t  be  party  breakers!Cry
PS: we �re not looking   for  the  real meaning, but  your  own crazy  explanation!

Thanx cunnlife and elderberrywine  for participating!Wink

28 Nov 2012     

MarionG
Netherlands

I didn �t participate earlier since the word seems to be too simple...
It is obvious, really...

floc/flock = group
inau/inauguration= te be accepted into
cini/cinema = put on film
hi = laughter
lipi/liposuction
fication = indicates a process

So clearly floccinaucinihilipilification means the process a person undergoes when everyone laughs at the video that was made during the hazing because said person is slightly overweigth, causing that person to become obsessed with liposuction...
As I said before, obvious...

28 Nov 2012     

elderberrywine
Germany

Marion, you have to post this in the WOD thread.

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=39050

This is only a save-the-WOD thread!!

28 Nov 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Actually, elderberrywine, it �s no longer on the main page and people won �t view it unless they are subscribed to it. So, if you or the author of the thread want it to continue, you �ll have to repost it in a new thread on the main page.
Sophia

28 Nov 2012     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

As Marion says, the answer is easy.

However, it must be said that a detailed knowledge of several foreign languages; ancient word construction; words borrowed from other languages, (and not yet paid back); sound shifts; folk-lore throughout the centuries; fairy tales involving beautiful maidens and ugly, old, evil men; ancient herbal remedies which use dangerous, old-fashioned poisons; together with arcane similes and metaphors; and all this combined with a forensic mind capable of differentiating between out-of-date, established, scientific prejudice; versus modern, fact-filled, statistical opinion, corroborated by unending, mind-numbing, boring Case-Studies, complete with verbatim dialogue in incomprehensible utterances, (which purport to be in English), are what is required to answer this question.

(An ability to write sentences exceeding 100 words in length is also a great advantage.)

Here is my submission.

Flocci = Flocks (plural, from the Italian)

Nauci = Knock (from Old Sanscrit)

Nihil = Nothing in particular (Latin)

I = me, I (Obvious, so I will give No Explanation).

Pile - Hemorrhoids (contracted, from the Greek),

Ification = Caused by (Very Late Latin.  Indeed, was almost marked �Absent �)

Here, we have a reminder of sad times past, when the unknown "I" in the story, the unfortunate individual, is informing us that "I", was told, not once, but by flocks of people knocking on the door, that "I" am suffering from the dread disease "PILES", but that it is nothing to worry about.

How it was caused is left unsaid --- too dreadful to put into words!    

I am reminded of the lines from a heart-rending Eskimo poem, (taken from a Gregorian chant, and used by Johann Strauss in "Voices of Spring").

Because migrating storks perched directly in front of their bedroom window, the Strauss family could plainly see that birds on the rooftops do not contract hemmorrhoids.

The poem appears to advise us to keep warm in winter, which, perhaps, gives us a clue:

"Think of the Birdies on the Tiles;
They do not Suffer from the Piles".

Les Douglas

28 Nov 2012     

yanogator
United States

Les, I just want to know how you contracted hemorrhoids from a Greek. I didn �t think they were contageous!

Bruce

28 Nov 2012     

douglas
United States

LOLBruce

29 Nov 2012