Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > what is the weather     

what is the weather

jarek2011
Poland

what is the weather

I feel stupid to ask this question but sth has been bugging me for a couple of days now. Is the following questioncorrect: What is the weather today ? I think that leaving out "LIKE" in the question above is a mistake. What is your opinion on that one?

29 Nov 2012      

yanogator
United States

It �s not a mistake, but it isn �t too common. People do say it, though. They especially use it in the future, as in "What is the weather going to be (or wupposed to be) tomorrow?".

Bruce

29 Nov 2012     

jarek2011
Poland

thank you very much for clarifying it Bruce :) Have a nice day!

29 Nov 2012     

saidama
Morocco

it �s not a mistake though but smetimes we use: what �s the weather like today? or if they are meaning tomorrow they sometimes say : what �s the weather going to be tomorrow?
SAIDA

29 Nov 2012     

kengerly
Turkey

Sometimes? I think that question type is wrong. The students should use "what is the weather like today?" pattern. ıf you accept the usage of "what is the weather today?" pattern how do you think you will teach " what is Sally like?She is honest and helpful."

29 Nov 2012     

kengerly
Turkey

By the way, I think we can accept "How is the weather?" pattern.

29 Nov 2012     

yanogator
United States

"How is the weather?" is a different question, kengerly. It is asking for your opinion of how the weather feels/seems to you. If you �re on vacation and you call a friend, he might ask "How is the weather there?" It �s very similiar to "How is the food there?" or "How is your room?" It isn �t asking what is happening meteorologically at the time, but just a general impression of the weather.

Bruce

29 Nov 2012     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Thanks Bruce That was a neat, fair and quite useful answer. Now I can explain it to my kids. Thanks. Linda

29 Nov 2012