Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Is this sentence correct?    

Is this sentence correct?

Nizarsouth
Tunisia

Is this sentence correct?

Hi colleagues!
I m suspicious about this sentence:
My daughter is just one of thousands of children who escaped bullying at ordinary schools but they found themselves facing other problems in virtual ones.
Is my sentence correct?

3 Dec 2012      

yanogator
United States

No, it �s not correct, because the subject of the sentence changed. It is easy to fix, though.
"My daughter is just one of thousands of children who escaped bullying at ordinary schools, but who found themselves facing other problems in virtual ones.

Bruce

3 Dec 2012     

Nizarsouth
Tunisia

Thanks a lot Bruce, but is it ok to repeat the pronoun who two times?
What about this one: like my daughter, thousands of children who tried to escape bullying at ordinary schools, found themselves facing other problems in virtual ones.

3 Dec 2012     

Nizarsouth
Tunisia

can use this sentence instead
Just like my daughter, thousands of students who tried to escape bullying at ordinary schools but they found themselves facing other problems in virtual ones

3 Dec 2012     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Nizarsouth,
It is OK to have "who" twice, since it is in different clauses. Your first alternative (immediately after my post, not this last one) also works. I was just staying with the original format.

Your last version doesn �t work, either, but again it is easy to fix:
Just like my daughter, thousands of students tried to escape bullying at ordinary schools, but they found themselves facing other problems in virtual ones.

It also works without "they" in the final clause.

You have many options here.

Bruce

3 Dec 2012     

Nizarsouth
Tunisia

Thank you so much Bruce  Thumbs Up

3 Dec 2012     

douglas
United States

I would make only one change to Bruce �s answer--I would change "themselves" to "themself"  --"one of thousands", to me, should be singular.

<<but i do have my doubts about this>>

4 Dec 2012     

mariec
Spain

the singular of themselves is himself, herself or itself,

4 Dec 2012     

yanogator
United States

Douglas, the daughter is the "one", and it is the "thousands" who "find themselves", so the plural is correct.

Bruce

4 Dec 2012     

douglas
United States

Yeah Bruce--I could see it both ways though

"She is the one who..", but I have to agree with you in the end.

Mariec- sorry, you are correct, thanks for correcting me, I don �t want to confuse anyone. 

I am so used to writing/translating into gender neutral language that I sometimes forget that "themself" is not yet "officially" correct--it is becoming more and more accepted though, someday it will be correct. 

4 Dec 2012