Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > a report?    

a report?

aldonza
Spain

a report?

Hello,

I�ve got a question regarding the Spanish expression "poner un parte".

In Spanish High Schools, when a student has improper behaviour, insults the teacher or other classmates, or just makes it difficult for the teacher to work with the rest of the class, "se le pone un parte". This is a kind of report in which his behaviour is explained and is sent to the Head of Studies.
How can I say that in English?. Is there something similar in English?

Thanks in advance!

3 Dec 2012      

jarek2011
Poland

hi,

wait for some native speakers to come up with the answer(s) but I say:

to report a student
to put student on report
to write a student up

hope it helps,

greetings from cold Norway!

3 Dec 2012     

IonMincu
Romania

It �s as Jarek stated.  In American schools, we �d say "I �m going to write you up." to a student who was badly misbehaving.  When speaking with other teachers, we would talk about "writing a report" about/for a certain student �s behavior(s).

(I know the little flag under my username says I �m from Romania, but I �m an American ex-pat teaching abroad).

3 Dec 2012     

aldonza
Spain

Thank you both for being so helpful!!

Cheers.

3 Dec 2012     

yuyujo
Colombia

I �m a Spanish native speaker and it is more common to say "sacar un parte" instead of "poner un parte" (at least in Colombia). In terms of translation, "give a report" is ok since it has the same connotation and meaning; there must be a closer expresion though that an English native speaker must know better, I suppose. :)

3 Dec 2012     

EstherLee76
Peru

I agree with IonMincu.

3 Dec 2012     

douglas
United States

"I �m going to report you."

4 Dec 2012