Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > help with the passive plz     

help with the passive plz

badr.a7
Morocco

help with the passive plz

how would you put these sentences into the passive voice: 

1- someone promised me a job if i passed my exam

2- they are having dinner now 

3- nobody has ever talked to me like that before

4- people shan �t speak to me as if i were a child 

4 Dec 2012      

SaraMariam
United States

For 3/4 I would say ... more like ...

3. I have never been talked to like that before / It has never been talked to me like that before
4. I can �t be spoken to as if I were a child / It can �t be spoken to me as if I were a child

4 Dec 2012     

badr.a7
Morocco

thanks bro. i thought of the passive the same way but as some of them sounded weird i asked for help in case i might be wrong. 

4 Dec 2012     

badr.a7
Morocco

thnks sara

4 Dec 2012     

Shalottslady
Belgium

3. see SaraMariam �s 1st option (not the 2nd since �it � cannot be subject here, nor in her 2nd option for 4)
also possible and perhaps more natural:
Never before has anyone talked to me like that!

4 Dec 2012     

cindyfreksen
Denmark

1- someone promised me a job if I passed my exam - I was promised a job if I passed my exam

2- they are having dinner now - Dinner is now being eaten ( I don �t think that you can use have in this sentence, it sounds odd.

3- nobody has ever talked to me like that before - I have never been spoken to like that before (again I would not use talk as it infers action)

4- people shan �t speak to me as if i were a child - I will not be spoken to as a child (shan �t is not correct in the first sentence)

The passive is difficult in English mainly because it is rarely used!

Hope that helped
Cindy

4 Dec 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

@Cindy "The passive is difficult in English mainly because it is rarely used!" You�ve probably just proved that it�s neither �difficult� nor �rarely� used. It�s a useful construction when used appropriately - like any other feature of the language.

4 Dec 2012     

cindyfreksen
Denmark

I agree that it is useful, but believe me compared to the language I now speak most of the time it is rare in English!!

Cindy

5 Dec 2012