Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > My favourite game    

My favourite game

papadeli
Greece

My favourite game

Language
e.g.   adjectives (  happy/sad, old/young, tall/short, fat/thin......)

Material

card, glue, scissors

Procedure

1.       Give each pair a copy of the pictures and the words as they are  above . Then ask pupils to stick their photocopies onto card and cut out the 17 cards.

2.       Pupils shuffle the cards and hand them out (one pupil wil l have 9 cards and the other 8). Pupils should hold their cards in their hand without letting their partner see them.

3.       Tell them that the aim of the game is to get rid of their cards forming pairs of pictures and words. To do so they must get rid o the �Grumpy Grandpa� card which does not have a pair.

4.       First, each pupil puts the pairs they already have got face up on the table, saying the adjectives out loud. The other player checks that the picture and word cards match.

5.       Now pupils take turns picking a card from each other�s hand (without seeing which one it is). Then they check if they can form a new pair. If they can, they put the cards down, say the words out loud, and offer the cards left in their hand to their partner to choose from.

6.       The game continues until one pupil has no cards left and the other pupil is left with the �Grumpy Grandpa� card.

Happy teaching,

papadeligames

5 Dec 2012      

SaraMariam
United States

Great idea for a game! i was just looking for a new idea with cards to do with the kids tomorrow! Thanks a lot :)

5 Dec 2012     

Goreti Ponte
Portugal

Excellent idea! Thanks for sharing.

What do you think of doing the same game with past simple and past participle of irregular verbs? For older students the list of irregular verbs is always a big  battle and this seems to be a funnier and more pleasant way to learn them.

Really like your ideasClap

5 Dec 2012     

papadeli
Greece

Thank you, Goreti Ponte. I used adjectives as an example. This is an awesome  conversational game or pair work activity. It �s a great speaking activity for adults, young adults and children. This game allows students to learn vocabulary but much more can be added. 
Other options:
picture-word (for vocabulary)
Pronoun - verb (for tenses): He/play football
Verb- key words: play football/yesterday

or...
She was cooking when she saw a black cat.

Greetings from Greece,
papadeligames

5 Dec 2012