Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > London īs calling (and Canterbury too, but less)    

London īs calling (and Canterbury too, but less)

Shalottslady
Belgium

London īs calling (and Canterbury too, but less)

Dear Colleagues,

I live in Belgium and every year some colleagues and myself take my students (15-year-olds, some 16) to London for 5 days. The aim is to offer them a taste of London and not spend too much time in musea. Belgium is not all that far and they will definitely go back some day later in their lives. When they īve seen some things that they found interesting, they can return then and spend more time there.
However, because I let go of one of the activities we did in the past (Jack The Ripper-walk), I now have a gap in the program... Do you have any neat inexpensive ideas? Ideally, if any Londoners out here are willing to have us over for a short visit. Then I would deeply appreciate that. In the long run, we could even do an exchange and then students from London can come and visit us. Our school is located in Ghent. An excellent base to visit Bruges, Antwerp, ... and even Amsterdam. Of course Ghent also has a whole lot to offer... But this will be hard to accomplish this year...
If anyone should have a city quest for Canterbury, then I would also love to have that. Our last day is spent in Canterbury (close to the ferry, so we won īt miss it Wink).
What īs already on the program? A city tour on foot (Big Ben, Picadilly Circus, Houses of Parliament, .... all the major things to see) ending in Tate Gallery, a musical (Spamalot or The Lion King), shopping (Covent Garden, Oxford Street, Camden), British Museum, Science museum or Natural History Museum, Tate Modern, Shakespeare Globe (with workshop), changing of the Guards (incl a visit to the Guards � Museum) and London Dungeon (which they absolutely love)... Any other ideas? Not Mme Tussaud īs (too expensive), please... London-based teachers, feel free to contact me if you īre interested in an exchange in the future (next schoolyear) or if you would allow us to visit your students (this year perhaps?).
I hope to hear from you...

Kind regards,

Karina

6 Dec 2012      

Shalottslady
Belgium

Oh, just to make things clear... With īa visit � to your students (for London-based teachers) I actually mean to your school. We won īt need lodging since that has already been taken care of. However, one never knows, if I can find a school willing to do an exchange, then we can stay at each other īs which will certainly mean huge savings on boarding...

6 Dec 2012     

Zora
Canada

When are you going? Right now there is the Winter Wonderland at Hyde Park. It īs free to enter - although if you want to go skating or see the circus you need to buy tickets.

During the normal season, I believe there are other free things down at the park too.

http://www.hydeparkwinterwonderland.com/tickets

6 Dec 2012     

Shalottslady
Belgium

Hi Zora,

many thanks for your reaction. And indeed... Some very crucial information went missing here... :)

We leave on Sunday March 24th and return on Thursday March 28th. Our last full day in London is Wednesdat March 27th. So Winter Wonderland is a no-can-do... Wink

6 Dec 2012     

cindyfreksen
Denmark

for ideas and inspiration take a look at time out  I am fairly certain that they have a section with free things to do.

I used to use it all of the time when I lived in London. (It was a magazine then Wink)

Cindy

6 Dec 2012     

Shalottslady
Belgium

Many thanks, Cindy! I am also familiar with īTime Out �, but the problem is that the program needs to be ready in January/February. Too early to check a īTime Out � then since they don īt mention events that far in advance.
Btw: is it no longer a magazine? I remember taking it from a tube station when I was living in London about 16 years ago...

6 Dec 2012