Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Ask for help    

Ask for help

Maroune
Sri Lanka

Ask for help

Dear colleagues : I need your help.
Can we say I �m fearful isntead of scared, afraid, frightened....  It seems a little bit weird. and what �s the adjective derived from disbelief. Can we say. I�m  disbelief instead of I �m in disbelief
Thx a lot in advance

7 Dec 2012      

juliag
Japan

Hi,

I think we can say say "I �m fearful," but it doesn �t sound so natural. It would be more natural to say "I �m in dear of/for..."

We would probably say "I �m incredulous" or, more likely,  "I can �t believe it"  or "It �s unbelievable" to express disbelief.

Hope this helps.
Julia

7 Dec 2012     

yanogator
United States

Since "disbelief" is a noun, if you say "I �m disbelief", you mean that you, personally, are that quality, so that won �t work. Julia �s suggestions are good.

"I �m fearful" means more of a long-term state, rather than a temporary feeling. I can �t think of examples now, but I �m sure some of the others will help with that.

Bruce

7 Dec 2012     

chahdouda
Tunisia

"I am fearful" does mean: "I am afraid."
We say: to be fearful of something / doing something / that + subject + verb + ............
"Fearful" also means "terrible / horrible." We say, for example, a fearful accident, etc.
"Disbelief" is a noun. We say: to be in disbelief. The verb is "disbelieve." It means: to refuse to believe somebody or something. We also say: to disbelieve in something, meaning "to not believe in the existence of something." I think we can use the past participle, disbelieved, as an adjective.   

7 Dec 2012