Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Question to natives from various regions in the world    

Question to natives from various regions in the world

67Englishteacher
France

Question to natives from various regions in the world

Hello dear colleagues!

I �m currently working on giving advice. Of course I gave students the structures "you should" and "if I were you, I would...".
I also thought of "you �d better" but the Canadian assistant working in my school said it was only British. She said "you better" (without the "had") is used, but only in the context of a threat or in anger.
What do you think? Can "you �d better" express "pure" advice as well? And is it used only in Britain?
If possible, I �d like opinions from British, American and Canadian people, and why not Australian or more nationalities.
Thanks in advance!
And have a great weekend!

7 Dec 2012      

Anast_mic
Greece

As a native speaker (Canadian) I �d also use "you �d better" as a warning, as in "you �d better put your jacket on, you �ll catch your death out there"
but mostly I �d use it as a threat "you �d better do your homework, or else!"
I can �t think of a context where I would use it as "pure" advice, as you say.
my two cents.

7 Dec 2012     

pilarmham
Spain

I �m not a native speaker, but I lived in the US for several years. You are right, they don �t use "had".

I am currently working with modal verbs and I asked myself the same question: can you consider "had better" for advice? I would say so. The difference I find is that it emphasizes a warning, the possible negative consequences of an action, whereas "should" emphasizes a moral necessity.

I �d love to hear a native speaker about this, too.

7 Dec 2012     

cagreis
Portugal

Hope this helps:
you better

Same as "you should". Implies advice or warning. Common in the southern US, this phrase has been shortened down from: 

You would be better off if you... 
You would be better to ... 
You �d be better... 
You �d better... 
You better... 

Sometimes as a threat, a person will mistakingly say "you had better...", but the correct uncontracted version is "would" not "had".
You better get started on that paper if it �s gonna be done by Monday. 

But really there �s no big difference:

"Had better" is most commonly used to make recommendations. It can also be used to express desperate hope as well as warn people.

Examples:

• You had better take your umbrella with you today. recommendation
  • That bus had better get here soon! desperate hope
  • You had better watch the way you talk to me in the future! warning

7 Dec 2012     

67Englishteacher
France

thank you!

7 Dec 2012     

EstherLee76
Peru

It �s just a bad habit (leaving off the "had").  Americans also commonly misuse "have got" by saying things like "Do you got?"  Some linguists say that if everyone is doing it, then it becomes the standard and is no longer bad grammar.  I �ll leave them to debate that.

7 Dec 2012     

PhilipR
Thailand

Grammatically it �s you �d better or you had better, but in real life the had is disappearing because it is pronounced very faintly (or as a glottal stop) and many people have even forgotten that there is �d in the expression.

Language is changing constantly, and we are getting to a point where the expression you better is now more used than you �d better. Eventually you better will become correct, if it isn �t considered to be so already.

7 Dec 2012     

cindyfreksen
Denmark

If you are looking at advice you can say: you would do better ...

For example:

"Should I take the M25 to the airport"
"You would do better on the A40 and the M11"

"Should I marry Fred?"
"You would do better with Harry."

The answer to the last one could be "you could do worse"

You �d better, however, sounds like a threat, although Cagreis � last few examples make perfect sense to this ex-pat.

Cindy

8 Dec 2012     

67Englishteacher
France

thanks for the additional answers I got since I last checked the thread!
You �ve all been very helpful!

8 Dec 2012