Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Question concerning obj. pronouns    

Question concerning obj. pronouns

ironik
Australia

Question concerning obj. pronouns

Hi friends,

I have a question concerning syntax actually :) and put and not to put this bloody it. I �d be really glad if you share your opinion.

So, the sentence is:

If we keep up polluting (it)  , I think we could never return its original state. (we are talking about environment)

Do we have to put it or another pronoun after polluting (cause it �s a transitive verb) or because the sentences are combined and it follows its, is it reduntant? 

8 Dec 2012      

mariec
Spain

If we keep on polluting, I think, we will never return it to its original state.

8 Dec 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

This reads better �if we keep on polluting it, I think we would never be able to return it to its original state. �

If you keep in �it � then this is referring to something specific - the environment, that you have already mentioned. 

If you omit �it � then I think you would have to take out �its � as well. So, something like, �If we keep on polluting, we �ll never be able to return things to their original state. �

Hope this has helped!

8 Dec 2012     

ironik
Australia

mariec and cunliffe, thanks a lot! It �s really helped. Smile

9 Dec 2012