Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Countable and uncountable nouns     

Countable and uncountable nouns

KHAWLA ALZIOD
Jordan

Countable and uncountable nouns

Hello everyone,
I would be very grateful if you helped me in this topic .
the word   "people " is sometimes countable and other cases uncountable .Do you think that it differs from countable to uncountable in meaning ?
Is it considered as plural or singular ?

Also the word fruit .Is it singular or plural ?
I have checked everything from the dictionary ,but I would be happy to read your comments .
please ,give me any hints to discuss.

9 Dec 2012      

Katiapulko
Ukraine

People - human beings in general. E.g. There were lots of people at the festival.

Peoples - nations, members of a particular community. e.g. The British and French were at first the leading peoples in this great proliferation of knowledge.

Have a look here: http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/people_1
and here: http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/people

Regards, Kate

9 Dec 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

People is used as plural when we mean "persons"
E. g. There were a lot of people at the party.

Peoples is used when we mean representatives of different nationalities
E. g. the native peoples of Siberia i.e. several nationalities that live there

Fruit when you mean it in general as opposed to, say, vegetables
E. g. You should eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables.

Fruits when you mean different kinds of fruit
E. g. Tropical fruits like bananas and pineapples.

Same goes for fish BTW.

Sophia

P.S. Hi, Katia, we must have been posting at the same time.

9 Dec 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Just an observation. �People � is always plural. It can be countable, �50 people think that � or uncountable when used in the general sense �people think that.. � 

9 Dec 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

I �d imagine Khawla is also interested in subject-verb agreement. So, for people, you �d find - as in the above examples - that it is treated as an unmarked plural (the people are revolting, my lord) and yet can also take an indefinite article (the Koryaks, an indigenous people of the Russian Far East) although the verb agreement would again be plural (a people who inhabit the coastlands of the Bering Sea).

Fruit, as the others have pointed out, is invariably singular (fruit flies like a banana Big smile) - except when it �s marked as plural, of course.

9 Dec 2012     

drissbkd
Morocco

I think the word "people" is coutable in case it is the plural form of " a person". but when it has the meaning of a nation, community, it is considered as uncountable or at least singular. for more grammar tips visit. bkdelt.com/grammar.
good luck

9 Dec 2012