Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > OT: Kindle    

OT: Kindle

colibrita
United Kingdom

OT: Kindle

Hi all

Does anyone have a Kindle? I �m thinking of buying one, I �m book crazy but our home is bursting at the seams with books. I live in Spain but will be buying mine on Amazon uk. Does this mean I will only be able to buy and download from the UK Kindle Shop? Because I would quite like to be able to shop for Spanish titles too.

Apologies for my Off Topic questions.

Hugs from a chilly Barcelona!

Colibrita

10 Dec 2012      

mariaah
Spain

Hi Colibrita,
I �ve a kindle for some time and I � really glad with it. You can buy books via Amazone in Spain in Spanish or in English.
I read more books than before buying it.  They have good prices.
Hugs from Oviedo.
Ana.

10 Dec 2012     

C�lia Machado
Portugal

Hi!

I �ve got a kindle as well. I �ve had it for some years and I take it everywhere with hundreds of books stored. I buy books from Amazon but there are other ways of getting ebooks for your kindle. There �s a software called Calibre which converts ebooks you can easily find online (most of them legally) into the mobi format (kindle format). 

10 Dec 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

As Ana says, there is an Amazon Spain and if you �re living there you �re more likely to get free delivery and some top deals into the bargain.
Re the Kindle: I love it; I have a Kindle 5 and I always use it on holiday but my wife rather unsportingly draws the line at me turning on the lights at 4.30 in the morning if I can �t sleep - she �s offered to buy me any other e-reader which has a built-in light.

By the way, like you, my house is still gently stuffed with books - but marginally less so now than it would have been.

C�lia: thanks, I didn�t know about that

10 Dec 2012     

manonski (f)
Canada

I own 4 Kobos ereaders and love them. I don �t know if they sell them in UK. Kobo is user friendly.
If you read for long periods of time, I would not recommend an ereader that is backlit. I have an ipad and I never use it to read books.

Problem with Amazon Kindle is that it only accepts its own format while most ereaders read epub format. There is a free software called Calibre that I believe can convert epub to the Kindle format. 

10 Dec 2012     

evinches
France

Hello,

I have been a Kindle user since Christmas 2011 (thanks Santa xx). It has made me a different kind of reader and I have discovered genres that I wouldn �t necessarily have been attracted to.
I often buy the Kindle daily deals at great prices...it reminds me of buying treats with my pocket money when I was young.
I have only bought from Amazon UK so far but I think it �s possible to change countries for purchasing.
I have recently had trouble with arthritis Disapprove so my Kindle has saved me from holding up heavy books in bed and turning pages which is sometimes painful for me. Also it makes less noise than traditional page turning which my husband (aka Santa) appreciates.
One day I even found myself pressing on the corner of a book and expecting the page to turn itself!!!!Wacko
I wish you a happy new life with your Kindle when you get it,
Esther

10 Dec 2012     

phnhu76
Vietnam

Hi,

I am also a bookworm and I have a Kindle DX for this. In Vietnam we can download a lot of ebooks online in prc. format which is suitable for Kindle. Kindle can also read pdf and doc. format.

This is my second Kindle. The first one was broken after being used for 9 months and this DX is rather heavy. Therefore I prefer a smaller and lighter one.

Hope you �ll have one soon. 

10 Dec 2012     

PhilipR
Thailand

Dead tree books are on the way out. A Kindle is great if you read a lot and very practical when travelling. I have a fourth generation Kindle which doesn �t glow in the dark, but there is now a new one which has built in lighting.

Btw, there are many books available as a free download, and other ways to get books for free ;).

10 Dec 2012