Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help with presentation    

Help with presentation

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Help with presentation

Hello dear colleagues. Next Wednesday, I have to give a short presentation (20 minutes) to the staff at our school. My topic is - I �m thinking, at the moment - �Mind Your Language, be language aware. � Basically, it �ll be about how to make sure your ESL pupils can understand you. I thought one good thing would be a bit of work on the passive and how to paraphrase, or avoid it, as this causes a lot of difficulty.
I realise my plan is a bit vague at the moment! Any ideas wil be gratefully received!

12 Dec 2012      

mvblair
United States

One of the biggest complaints I get from students is that their classroom teachers speak to fast. Because of that, I always suggest to my colleagues that they slow down and speak deliberately. I think that when people are conscious of speaking deliberately, they are much easier to understand. Paraphrasing is also very important. It is a quick way for teachers to repeat information for all students. I also tell my colleagues that it is very important to summarize main ideas for students, especially by previewing and reviewing before and after lessons.

Good luck!

12 Dec 2012     

douglas
United States

I have to be carefull I don �t mumble--it �s bad enough for a native speaker to understand, but for students it is HELL.

12 Dec 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I would say mind the group �s level when you give instructions for the activities in a worksheet or notebooks, make them as clear and as short as possible for beginner/elementary and always give an example sentence. E.g. For beginner/elementary use "Match", "Write", "Fill in", "Tick", "Copy", "Read and answer" instead of more elaborate instructions that you normally use for upper levels.

Also, to support Douglas �s comment, look here under "teacher talking" http://busyteacher.org/3773-how-to-teach-english-to-beginners.html

Some ideas here http://busyteacher.org/4113-5-worst-mistakes-all-beginner-esl-teachers-make.html

Sophia

12 Dec 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

I usually try to use only the verb tenses that I teach at Low Beginning: simple present, present continuous, simple past, and future with going to. I slip up sometimes, and it �s difficult to work around the present perfect, but that �s one way I simplify my language. You also need to read the body and face language of your students. Blank looks are bad. I agree that slow, careful speech is best, but start teaching more casual speech. For example, when I teach future with going to, I teach "gonna," but I also teach when not to use it (I �m going to go shopping: yes; I �m going to the store now: no).

12 Dec 2012     

papadeli
Greece

Simplified English

12 Dec 2012     

joy2bill
Australia

I give instructions orally but I also put a copy on the IWB or whiteboard so the students who don �t listen (ie most of the class) can read and don �t have to ask..."What do we have to do" ten times.

13 Dec 2012     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Nothing worse than teaching teachers. They usually think they know it, and hence refuse any advice. And no offence, but as an example, the responses above are aimed at the students, too.
Unless i �m mistaken, you want to know how to get your colleagues to understand the problems your esl students face in other subject classes.
I hope you �re lucky enough to speak another language? If so, say something simple in that other language.  If not, mix your presentation with strange and unknown words.  Next you ask your colleagues than horrible question: "Do you understand?"
I love your idea of telling them to be aware of the language they use.  Most people have no idea, indeed.  The document Sophia mentioned is a good one, too. And yes, incorporate all the other above ideas into your presentation. Do-as-i-do, is always better than do-as-i-say :-) 
But be aware, many teachers/staff may be on the defence just by the nature of the beast.
So a �good luck � and a big dose of humour may come in handy.
Cheers,
Peter

13 Dec 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Peter, how right you are! Thanks to all you guys for your answers. I �ll put something together over the weekend and I need to get that wow! factor - politics involved. You are all great. If my presentation is any good, I �ll post it. Thanks again.
Lynne

13 Dec 2012