Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Stable or animal shelter    

Stable or animal shelter

portugueseteacher
Portugal

Stable or animal shelter

Hi, everyone!

I have a doubt regarding Chrismas vocabulary.

Should we say animal shelter or stable ? Which is more correct?

And about the animals in the Nativity Scene...Is it ox or bull the more appropriate designation?Thanks a lot!!

12 Dec 2012      

florimago
Spain

I think it�s stable (an animal shelter is the place where forsaken animals are kept while they haven �t got a new owner)  and ox (bull is the one with horns , used for bullfighting here in Spain). I hope it�s useful. Cheers

Flori

12 Dec 2012     

yanogator
United States

Good answers again, florimago. I do want to mention that we would �t say "forsaken animals". We call them "abandoned animals".

Bruce

12 Dec 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

As far as the difference between bull and ox: they are both male cattle, but the bull is still intact, but the ox has been neutered. We usually talk about a stable at Christmas, but you could also use barn. The place where the Baby Jesus was laid is usually called a manger at Christmas, but at other times of the year, it �s a feeding trough. And Mary rode on a donkey, not an ass. (Since we use ass to refer to an indelicate part of the body not too far from the ox�s missing parts, you�ll get snickers if you say ass.)

12 Dec 2012     

florimago
Spain

Thanks again, Bruce  . And what�s the difference between forsaken and abandoned? Now I have a reasonable doubt

Flori

13 Dec 2012     

yanogator
United States

"Forsaken" and "abandoned" both mean "left behind", but "forsaken" is more of an attitude, and "abandoned" is more of an action. Of course, you don �t do the action without the attitude, but that is how the words differ. Your ex-lover is forsaken, but your cat is abandoned.

Bruce

13 Dec 2012     

portugueseteacher
Portugal

Thanks a lot for your kind help!

13 Dec 2012     

portugueseteacher
Portugal

I asked about "animal shelter" because I saw the expression in a flashcard (part of an educational magazine)containing an image of a stable regarding the Nativity Scene.
I also found it a bit strange so that �s why I wanted to confirm this info with you!Take care!

13 Dec 2012     

florimago
Spain

Thanks , Bruce, It�s clear for me now .
Flori

13 Dec 2012     

jarek2011
Poland

what does "get snickers" mean Moody Moody?

13 Dec 2012     

florimago
Spain

I �d dare  say that if we get snickers , the  only thing we �ll get is lots of laughter but I �m not sure.. it that correct, Moody Moody? 

13 Dec 2012     

1    2    Next >