Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How to say it?    

How to say it?

liza_xxx93
Russian Federation

How to say it?

Hi, everyone!!!
I �ve got a question again. How do we call it: a woman is taking care of her little baby and doesn �t go to work. Is she having a MATERNITY LEAVE or WHAT???
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP)))

20 Dec 2012      

Sonn
Russian Federation

She is on maternity leave (if she has a baby, if she is still pregnant then it is "pregnancy leave").

20 Dec 2012     

foose1
United States

In the United States it depends on the situation.  In the United States, I believe one year can be taken off for maturnity leave.  If she wasn �t working, in the first place, then she is just a homeworker.  A house mom. 

John

20 Dec 2012     

dennismychina
China

Hi, I don�t think there is a think called pregnancy leave. She must be pregnant to have her baby and she must (well usually) go on maternity leave while she is still pregnant. So if a woman, who is pregnant, takes leave to have her baby, the time she is off work, is called maternity leave. Enjoy.

20 Dec 2012     

foose1
United States

"The purpose of taking maternity leave is to allow mother �s time to heal and bond with their new baby. The amount of weeks allowed for maternity leave varies with different employers, but does allow time to help mothers get accustomed to life and scheduling with a new baby. Mothers who choose to breast feed need this time to get used to nursing and building up a milk supply so that when they return to work, they can pump milk as needed to provide for their baby at home." 
The company I worked for allowed for 1 year but I guess it isn �t true for all companies.

Read more: About Maternity Leave | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_4683141_maternity-leave.html#ixzz2FbXbc4OQ

20 Dec 2012     

Ahlam
Bahrain

Salam

In the place where I work the maternity leave is 60 working days and later wn the working mother returns back to work she is granted 2hs baby care daily for about 2 years.

Best Prayers

20 Dec 2012     

Sonn
Russian Federation

Pregnancy leave

Pregnancy leave is a Canadian term.

20 Dec 2012     

edrodmedina
United States

If you would like to know how to say it, follow the link. Ed http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/IT 

20 Dec 2012     

Jayho
Australia

For us downunder it is just called maternity leave, usually shortened to mat leave.  It applies from when the mum-to-be leaves work to have her baby and then care for her baby.  The amount of time granted is 3 months but this can be extended with conditions attached.

20 Dec 2012     

douglas
United States

"Maternity leave" -- they also have "paternity leave" in Germany (when Daddy stays home).

21 Dec 2012