Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > A white christmas to remember    

A white christmas to remember

Mariethe House
France

A white christmas to remember

My dear ESL friends
Long time since I started a topic on this forum about a general theme.
One of them here:  http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=29484
So here it is:
What is the white Christmas you will always remember? What was it like? How old were you? Where? Who with? Why was it so special?
If you don �t have any memories about a white christmas Why don �t you write about a white christmas you have always dreamed of or.... Any Christmas reallyBig smile White or not white!!

I �ll start:
The most fantastic white Christmasses I had were during my childhood, of course!!
However I will always remember this white Christmas , when I was 7...
Everything was covered in snow....little stars twinkling in the snow and in the sky. Night time .Getting ready, my parents and I to walk to church for the midnight mass in the next village (one mile distant from my home).Freezing cold.
My parents asked me and my brother to start walking while they were putting some more wood in the big burner to keep the house warm while we were away. They would catch up with us.
We started off, my brother and I but suddenly I realized I had forgotten my prayer book so I trotted back to the house as fast as my little legs allowed it.
As i passed the window to the main room, I noticed my parents were busy around the Christmas tree. This intrigued me and I stopped to watch behind the window panes covered with ice. I could not believe my eyes!To my amazement I saw my mum placing delicately a marvellous doll with beautiful shiny hair and wearing an amazing  dress that seemed made of gold , at the foot of the Christmas tree.
At the time I was not sure about old  Father Christmas having to go down all the chimneys in one night. l still hoped there was some truth about it but that night I had my answer!
However I knew my parents had been so happy to choose such a lovely present for me that I did not want to disappoint them. We went to mass... came back home and I jumped with joy when I saw the doll "father Christmas " had left for me.
 I was even happier to see the twinkle in my mum and Dad �s eyes! And I kept the secret to myself!

21 Dec 2012      

Ahlam
Bahrain

Salam

I have always wished to see a real Christmas celebration. Or even attend a family Christmas celebrating. I only know abt Christmas from pictures on net & reading abt it.

Merry Christmas to U all & wish u remember my family & I in ur prayers

Best Prayers

21 Dec 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Mine too was when I was a child. I think I was 7 as well, Mariethe. It had been snowing and the snow was wonderfully thick. So thick that my game was to fall straight back into it without bending. I was playing out in the bottom field by myself in a pair of ankle boots. I always wanted wellies, but my mam wouldn �t buy them, she thought they weren �t good enough for me.  
Hughie �s mam saw me through her window. She came out and she said,   �Haven �t you got any wellies, Lynne? � I looked down, embarrassed. �Just a minute, � she continued, �I bet Hughie �s wellies from last year will fit you. I �ll go and bring them. � My little heart fluttered, then swelled with joy. You see, yes, the wellies were important; but I loved Hughie with all my heart. The bliss to be getting his wellies! To slip my feet where the hallowed feet of Hughie had been! If only he had come out and played with me, but you can �t have everything.   

21 Dec 2012     

jcendr
France

How cute , Mariethe !

21 Dec 2012     

Zora
Canada

Hello Mariethe!

What a lovely story.  One of my greatest memories was one Christmas when my mother (father?), I still don �t know who did this so maybe Santa does exist!, somehow made prints (like reindeer hoof prints) leading up to the house and put a little bit of soot on the snow. All I can remember is being so excited when I saw those footprints because that meant  that Santa really did exist. 

Perhaps,  looking back now, I wonder if I had started to doubt the existence of Santa Claus and my parents wanted me to believe in the miracle just a little bit longer. I don �t know... but it is one of my fondest childhood Christmas memories... and even now I still like to check  the skies on Christmas Eve to see if maybe there is a Santa Claus. Smile 

21 Dec 2012     

maryse pey�
France

My most wonderful Christmas ?

When I kissed my 3-month-old eldest with my husband hugging us near the Christmas tree.

But the one I will never forget is the one when my family was absolutely no money left and my husband and I could absolutely not buy anything to my 2 young sons... One of my "students" was named Colomba and she owned a toy-shop... She proposed me to pay with English lessons all the toys I wanted for my kids... I will never forget the smiles of my children when seeing and opening so many small colored boxes full of nice toys... Yes, I will never forget Colomba who was such an angel to my boys...

I wish nobody the dark I had to dive in but I wish all TRUE friends crossing your way.

21 Dec 2012     

Mariethe House
France

Thank you Maryse , Lynne, Linda for your stories. All very touching. i do like the soot on the snow and the reindeer �s hoof prints! And Lynne , what a lovely story about child �s first love at Christmas!!SmileHeart
Thank you jcendr  I am glad you enjoyed it. And Ahlam: I shall think of you at Christmas so that you get a feeling of it.Big smile

22 Dec 2012     

joy2bill
Australia

I just want to experience a "White Christmas" one day instead of the hot "White Sand Christmas" we have downunder!
Cheers Joy

22 Dec 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Lovely, heartwarming stories. Mariethe, to show such maturity aged 7. Bless the lady Colomba.
As I look out of my window, it �s dirty, grey, uninspiring weather - I wouldn �t mind swapping with you, Joy! The grass is always greener.....
Lynne

22 Dec 2012     

Jayho
Australia

traditional

A white Christmas for us might include these things that are  

and if it�s hot we might see some at the 

or 

........................................ to be continued next post ......................................

22 Dec 2012     

Jayho
Australia

where we might use these  things

and we see a lot of

BUT sometimes also the red of

Tragically, on this day we sometimes also see the red of

Where I am it is forecast to be 40 degrees - a scorcher of a Christmas day.

My most memorable Christmas day as a child was on a 38 degree day when the local fire engine drove through our property to extinguish a small bushfire lit in the bush behind our property by some naughty neighbourhood boys.  When Mum smelt burning and saw smoke she realised it wasn�t the chicken.  Sadly for her, the fire engine was the highlight of our Christmas day.

I haven�t yet experienced a traditional white Christmas, but maybe one day ...

Cheers

Jayho

23 Dec 2012     

1    2    Next >