Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > PLEASE DON ´T START MORE "MERRY CHRISTMAS" THREADS -- OR ALL THE OTHER TOPICS WILL DISAPPEAR     

PLEASE DON ´T START MORE "MERRY CHRISTMAS" THREADS -- OR ALL THE OTHER TOPICS WILL DISAPPEAR

Mariethe House
France

Let us try to  be more creative just before Christmas. Just join the caf� gang!I started a thread today and it would be nice to read your stories. Big smile

22 Dec 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Well, Mariethe, that �s a good point. Your interesting and creative thread, which you posted on the forum, has been pushed off because of all the Christmas cards.  

22 Dec 2012     

cindyfreksen
Denmark

Is there a cafe? How come I have not found it yet!!Embarrassed

Altho I like getting wished a Merry Christmas as much as the next man, I also like to read and join in the academic banter in the forum Thumbs Up

So now i just have to find that Cafe

Happy Holidays to one and all if I don �t find it Wink

22 Dec 2012     

Stellam
Argentina

Merry Christmas to everyone

22 Dec 2012     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

No words, no comments. This forum has been wasting its most fantastic  feeling - we have been putting apart some kind of SOUL, we used to have. No matter the caf�, the forum has been sold to a few, who, may be, or may be not, are dealing with very important subjects - I usually see people asking about things that shouldn �t be asked, because people here are supposed to see, read and understand rules, I see threads about photos and unusual words, just for fun , no one claims: It �s ok, the forum is yours. I see people posting about so many different events, it �s ok, no one claims. What �s the big deal about Xmas? I don �t follow any religion, but the spirit of Xmas , of sharing, giving and receiving is something I feel we all need. Lucky I am, I get Xmas cards from so many different people, all around the world, different people,  from different religions send me cards, the  same way I congratulate them , all, for their festivities. That �s what life is... stop and think, there is more about life than just a few worksheets. Let �s spread love and friendship. And, because I am not breaking any rule, didn �t open a new thread, let me wish you, all of you, a merry time of friendship, love and tender. I spent a lot of time, making a bright , cute and lovely card to post here, to all my friends, but I decided not to post it; anyway, I WISH YOU A MERRY CHRISTMAS.
With love, but sad  ... Hugs

22 Dec 2012     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

How come no one protest about the WOD or the caption game? if rules are rules then they also belong in the cafe....just saying

22 Dec 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

WOD or Caption are language games and it �s been discussed before and some users expressed their opinions and said that they find them useful and even use them for their students.
Sophia

@cindy: there�s a link to the cafe in my previous post.

@Olinda: the thing is that people keep posting new/identical threads, even though there are two other Merry Christmas threads still on the main page. Why start another one and not post in the existing thread instead?
Because I am one of the regular users who use the forum maybe more often than other people, I find you words ("the forum has been sold to a few..") quite insulting... I always try to be helpful and respectful. 

23 Dec 2012     

MarionG
Netherlands

Sophia,
You indeed are always helpful and respectful. It doesn �t cease to amaze me that you time and time again find the time and energy to try and respond respectfully and seriously to every question posted. If more people had your attitude then there wouldn �t be only a few.
I personally feel the wod contest (less so the caption contest) is one of the most educational and intelligent threads on the forum, allowing to play with language at a high level, enriching vocabulary not only by the word given but also by the explanations offered.
About the Christmas wishes, nobody claims there is no place for Christmas wishes on the forum, the only request is not to post new threads while others are still on the forum. Olinda, you can post your no doubt gorgeous card as a response to an existing thread.
When someone asks a question we do not open a new thread for every answer, no matter how brilliant it may be, we post it under the original post as a response. It can be the same for Christmas wishes....
I do agree with Olinda on a different level, the forum seems to have lost its soul, regardless of christmas wishes (there I actually agree with the orignal poster of thsi thread). There is little joy in reading the forum, little food for thought, few intellectual challenges - and worse of all - even fewer laughs...maybe the time has come to sign off...

23 Dec 2012     

Mariethe House
France

@ Marion
maybe the times we are living are not really conducive to any reason of laughing heartfully.
However I think that when this place started, people were full of enthusiasm and the forum sparkled with witty, funny (you name it) threads but also with other angry, agressive and not so respectful posts. Rules were set up and with them a lot of rigidity and dullness.
Not everyone here masters the English language as well as you do and some natives here do!
So this is probably another reason why the posts are mainly professionnal in that they are more related to asking for help and answering.
I suggest you , Les, Ed,Almaz ,Zora, damielleRedbull ( even if he is a bit provocative at timesWink) and of course our unbeatable: JAYHO etc...come more often to share their mastery of the English language , their wit and kindness. I also like Cunliffe �s dry sense of humour.
Let us not be sad or scornful or bitter about this place. I guess WE made it that way!!!
But if you want to sign off, feel free to do so.

23 Dec 2012     

PhilipR
Thailand

I totally agree with poster. Lets not have twenty threads all wishing the same.

Btw, this doesn �t just apply to Xmas, but all other festivals as well.

23 Dec 2012     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >