Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > "The most young"    

"The most young"

carinita
Argentina

"The most young"

I saw this in an exam sheet and another teacher told me it was incorrect. Why does it sound correct to me? Isn �t "young" one of the adjectives that accepts two types of superlative?

23 Dec 2012      

almaz
United Kingdom

More context, please, Carina.

23 Dec 2012     

libertybelle
United States

Young, younger, youngest.

The most young sounds weird to me.
I would never use it that way.

For example:
He is the youngest in his class.

23 Dec 2012     

cindyfreksen
Denmark

You could say most of the young today are computer literate ... meaning most young people. However, you have to do the young, younger and youngest for superlatives.

23 Dec 2012     

carinita
Argentina

Fine!! I got confused!! I guess "youngest" is all right. Thanks!

23 Dec 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

One syllable adjectives use -er and -est for comparative and superlative. (There are only a few irregular adjectives: good, bad, and far come to mind quickly.)

Adjectives with three or more syllables use more and most. Two syllable adjectives can go either way. In general, if a two syllable adjective ends with a vowel sound, use -er or -est. If it ends with a consonant sound, use more or most. However, this rule is not hard and fast. We just had a debate about handsome and "handsomer" really doesn �t sound bad to me. However, "stupider" sounds stupid!

23 Dec 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I suppose you might see �most young � if you were using �young � as a noun, so context might be important. However, yes, the superlative is �youngest �.

24 Dec 2012     

ISAVELUCHITA
Argentina

I think cunliffe is right, you must pay attention to the context!

25 Dec 2012     

b.pekesen
Turkey

Hello Everybody.I have taught at a High School in Mersin,Turkey.My pupils are so eager to join a Comenius multilateral project and they believe they can make a good job.They want to meet their peers,they want to learn their culture,they also want to prove their English.We are ready to make a project.Who wants to join us or who wants to take us as a projet artner?
Take care!

25 Dec 2012