Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need help in explaining present simple vs present continuous exercise    

I need help in explaining present simple vs present continuous exercise

caren_630
Egypt

I need help in explaining present simple vs present continuous exercise

Why can �t we use "I am having" instead of "I have" in the following sentence?
My life (get) is getting pretty busy at the moment. I (have) have a 14-hour day, but I�m lucky because we (film) are filming in the Santa Monica mountains now, 15 minutes from home.

One more question: 
Why did I use don �t have to and did not use mustn �t in the following sentence?
The kids don �t have to go to school today since it is a public holiday in Spain. That �s why they are at the park.

Thx in advance

25 Dec 2012      

jannabanna
France

Hi,

In the first example:  I have a 14-hour day, "have" is a state verb and doesn �t have a continuous form.  The verb "have" can be put into the continuous form if it takes the place of another verb for example:  He �s having a shower at the moment.  or   They were having lunch when we arrived.

In the second example:  The kids don �t have to go to school - this is an outside obligation (the school have put down the rules) whereas "mustn �t" is a strong obligation or something we feel personally, for example:

You mustn �t cross the road here, it �s dangerous.
You must see that film, it �s great.

Have a look here for more explanations and examples:

Janet

26 Dec 2012     

yanogator
United States

You can say "I am having a 14-hour day." In fact, it sounds better than "I have a 14-hour day" here.

Must not is a prohibition.

Don �t have to is a lack of obligation.

Bruce

26 Dec 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

In general, �I have � is the state and implies continuity whereas �I �m having � is describing the moment, but English is very flexible! I think here, I �d go for �I have a 14 hour day �. �I �m having � sounds a little more emphatic - she �s having a 14 hour day and it �s a bit much! 
An example: �I have a really long journey to work. � �There �s so much traffic today, I �m having a terrible journey. � 

27 Dec 2012