Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Why do English people wear paper crown on Christmas Eve??    

Why do English people wear paper crown on Christmas Eve??

carminia villanueva
Chile

Why do English people wear paper crown on Christmas Eve??

Some years ago, I saw a film (an old one) where English  people wore crowns with candles during dinner on Christmas Eve. Then, I saw again a film with Hugh Grant and again they were wearing paper crowns during dinner on Chritmas Eve. I think I heard or read somewhere that this has to do with a saint, but whenever I have asked about this no one had been able to give me an answer :( and I really want to know!!!  

Thank you all and Happy New Year!!!

3 Jan 2013      

Aurore
France

You �ll find an explanation here:
 http://resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/xmas/crackers.html

3 Jan 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

Because they don �t have mirrors in the dining room.

3 Jan 2013     

manonski (f)
Canada

Are you sure it �s at Christmas? There is also the tradition of King Cake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_cake

3 Jan 2013     

wysiwyg
France

Almaz, love it. Made my day. Wink

4 Jan 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Pah almaz and wysiwyg, you are bad sports. I look great in my paper hat.Party As long as I take my wig off first. 

4 Jan 2013     

jannabanna
France

The real answer is that all Brits are CRAZY and love doing silly things and making fools of themselves!!

No seriously they are found in crackers along with a little "toy" and a joke!  Don �t forget the jokes!  Each should read out his or her joke around the table. 

The crackers are placed on each plate and before we start the meal we "crack" our crackers.  In my part of England we used to cross our arms and pull one end of the cracker on either side of us. With the "bang" the cracker opens and out pops, the HAT, toy and joke!  The hats should be kept on throughout the meal, but they keep falling over your eyes !!!

@ Lynne - I keep my wig on !!
@ Almaz - I must admit I avoid looking in the mirror!!

I have bought them by Internet and my French family and friends love them...... so !!!

4 Jan 2013     

carminia villanueva
Chile

Thank you all for your replies!!!! Some of them are very helpful and the others very funny!!! :) Have a wonderful day and a marvelous year!!!

8 Jan 2013