Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Thanks and further help needed    

Thanks and further help needed

edrodmedina
United States

Thanks and further help needed

Thank you Peter and Liz for your help. I was able to embed 6 huge audio  files with no problems. My question now is, is there a way of stopping one audio file and starting another? When I click on the icon for an audio file it begins to play, if I click on another the first one I clicked continues to play. When I linked the files, clicking on a new file would cause the pevious clicked to stop. I tried adding a button that would stop the previous file but that doesn �t work. Any suggestions from our computer savy colleagues? Ed

3 Jan 2013      

Peter Hardy
Australia

Hi Ed,
The following should work.  Option one: double click on the sound icon on your slide.  You get some options in the menu bar (top of the screen), like when to start, the maximum size of the file that can be embedded, to hide the icon during play and the volume and some more.  But you want more, so let �s look at option two: click on the sound icon and set the menu on custom animation.  Like with pictures and other animations, you get the dialogue box to your right.  Click on the little black down-arrow and choose effect options or timing.  In the pop-up box you �ll find all kind of options, including when to stop the sound file, i.e. on click, after one slide or after a number of slides.  Look at all three options on offer here: effects, timing and sound settings.  Too much to mention here, so just be like a kid: PLAY :-) 
Hope this helps. Cheers, Peter

3 Jan 2013     

foose1
United States

Okay here is what I came up with after experimenting a bit.     Use the first embedded sound (speaker) as the trigger to start another embedded sound.  You can change the picture of the speaker by going to format, change picture on the main menu.  Do not use the right click fomat as it will only change the background or add another picture to the speaker.  Do the same for the second sound, so that when it is clicked, the third sound will start (loop forever across slides or just sound off one time).   If you want to set it up as a transparency, you will have to make your own 99 percent transparency, save it as png and then use it in place of the speaker picture.  Note that one of the settings is (unil clicked).  So change the picture or make it semi transparent and use itself as the trigger.
For some reason, you cannot use another event to stop the previous background sound but you can use another embedded background sound to stop the first sound.    This may be something cool to use in some of the slides for possilbe Karoake English so that you can play each line over and over again until you click on the next line ((speaker image removed using a transparent (must not be greater than 99 percent)). 

John Foose

4 Jan 2013