Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Possessive case     

Possessive case

lcio
Austria

Possessive case

Dear native speakers!
Which version is correct:
Lars �  book  or Lars �s book

Thanks for your help!
Have a nice weekend!

5 Jan 2013      

mariby22
United States

both acceptable

5 Jan 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Mariby is right. I will add that, in general, we do put the extra �s �.

5 Jan 2013     

yanogator
United States

Yes, both are acceptable. However, it is easier to teach the simpler rule, that singular nouns always take    �s   to form the possessive. If everyone in the US had been taught that way, there would probably be far less confusion about apostrophes. Here, many people use them (in various ways) to form non-possessive plurals. Do your students a favor and teach the simpler form.

Bruce

5 Jan 2013     

lcio
Austria

Thank you for your help!

5 Jan 2013     

ashishjoshi
India

Both are acceptable but the first is more correct. According to me words ending with �s � always take only apostrophe mark. Eg. Girls � school, boys � hostel, Zeus � boon etc 

5 Jan 2013     

douglas
United States

I agree with Bruce--  �s is "more right"

5 Jan 2013     

MarionG
Netherlands

@ ashishjoshi

You are partly correct. If you look closely, all the examples you give are words which end with an �s � because they are plurals. The rule indeed states that for plurals ending in �s � we add only the apostrophe, without the additional �s �. (kids � corner - the Johnsons � home)
However, those word whose singular form ends in �s do get an �s � after the apostrophe.
(Lars �s progress - the boss �s salary)

@Icio, even though you addressed yourself to natives, I allow myself to offer this link to an interesting and comprehensive overview of possessives:

5 Jan 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Marion, absolutely spot on. Specifically,  those words whose singular form ends in �s do get an �s � after the apostrophe.

5 Jan 2013