Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Even though    

Even though

abba
Spain

Even though

Good afternoon!!! Here in Spain, first day of school after Christmas, exhausting!!! Anyway, I �ve got a question. Today, in class there was an exercise in which we had to join sentences . One of them was the following:
The house is in bad condition. They paid a lot of money for it. (even though)
The house is in bad condition, even though they paid a lot of money for it.
That was my answer, however some of my students came up with the following one
Even though the house is in bad condition, they paid a lot of money for it.
I said it wasn �t possible but I can �t justify my answer, can you give a clue?

Thanks

8 Jan 2013      

perma
Greece

Actually 
Even though the house is in bad condition, they paid a lot of money for it 
IS the correct answer!

I can �t really explain why, only that it is something reasonable to say...
One might also say 
Although the house is in bad condition they paid...
I �m not sure if that makes it any clearer.

In the sentence you proposed it should be:
The house is in bad condition. However, they paid a lot for it.

HTH Geek

8 Jan 2013     

MimiAguilar
Mexico

Well, to me both are correct.
It �s like in Spanish, you say

Pagu� mucho por la casa, Aunque esta estaba en malas condiciones
Aunque estaba en malas condiciones, pagu� mucho por la casa.

Both sentences are all right. there is a table of these words, i don �t recall the name, that says that some can be placed at the beginning, others at the middle and others at the end of a sentence. Even though there are some of them that can be placed in two of the options, witout changing the meaning of the sentence. 

I hope it helped.

8 Jan 2013     

erikaandel
Brazil

Punctuation

When an adverb clause begins the sentence use a comma to separate the two clauses.Example: Even though the it was expensive, he bought the car.. When the adverb clause finishes the sentence there is no need for a comma. Example:He bought the car even though it was expensive.

For more information about how to use these words click on the link for an explanation of the usage.

Adverb Clauses Showing Opposition

Even though, though, although
  • Even though it was expensive, he bought the car.
  • Though he loves doughnuts, he has given them up for his diet.
  • Although he course was difficult, he passed with the highest marks.

Notice how �though, even though � or �although � show a situation which is contrary to the main clause to express opposition. Even though, though and although are all synonyms.

source: http://esl.about.com/od/grammaradvanced/a/adverb_clauses_2.htm

8 Jan 2013     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Dear Abba!

You didn �t pay a lot of money because or as result of the house conditions.

The idea is: Despite the house conditions, you are still paying a lot of money for it.

In other
words, you shouldn �t be paying/have paid/paid a lot of money due to the house conditions.

8 Jan 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

IMHO your students � answer IS the correct one.

Despite the fact that the house is in bad condition, they paid a lot of money for it anyway.
Even though the house is in bad condition, they paid....
Maybe it would be more obvious if the clause had a verb in the past as well (is - was)

Sophia

8 Jan 2013     

abba
Spain

Thanks a million to all of you.I �ve checked the key and Even though the house is in bad condition, they paid a lot of money for it  is not given as a correct option. It �s a book that gives all the possibilities, and as MimiAguilar said, in Spanish is the same, but when my students gave me this answer and I wrote it on the blackboard there seemed to be something missing in the meaning of the sentence.

8 Jan 2013     

yanogator
United States

MimiAguilar �s examples aren �t the same as the two English sentences. Your original example of

"The house is in bad condition, even though they paid a lot of money for it" would be

"La casa estaba en malas condiciones, aunque pagu� mucho por la casa", or something like that, in Spanish. Her two examples had "aunque" with the bad condition, not with the paying.

Anyway, I agree with perma and Sophia, that the student �s answer is the correct one.

Bruce

8 Jan 2013