Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > RIDDLES    

RIDDLES

jannabanna
France

RIDDLES

This kind of exercise works well with intermediate to advanced students.  They have to have enough vocabulary to ask questions - could be done just after teaching/revising question forms.

Write the riddle on the board, for example (my favourite !!!):

"It �s an object.  Everyone has one (just one), but they can �t see their own.  They can see other people �s but not theirs.  What is it?

They can ask as many questions as needed to find the answer - sometimes they don �t discover the answer, but the exercise is, after all, asking questions.  Some example questions could be:

1)  What �s it made of?
2)  How big it it?

Can YOU find the answer to my riddle?

Janet

13 Jan 2013      

papadeli
Greece

Greetings from Greece,
papadeligames   

13 Jan 2013     

yuliya888
Ukraine

Nice activity. Thanks a lot, jannabanna

My answer is ears. Is is correct?  

13 Jan 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I tried a similar kind of activity with my business English class. I used it as a warm-up. We were talking about brands, so I asked one student to face the group with her back to the board and the other student wrote the name of her favourite brand on the board, the student who �s facing the group has to guess the name of the brand asking the group different questions to help her guess. As soon as she guesses, she can then pick the next player and write her favourite brand on the board.
I think this is a universal activity (i.e. can be used for multiple purposes) and it is very enjoyable and helps build a friendly atmosphere in the classroom.
Sophia

P. S. I don�t think it�s ears as we all have two, so I�d go with Sophia�s choice: BACK.

13 Jan 2013     

titine69
France

Could it be "my nose"? I can �t see it as it is small but what about a big nose or a crooked one,do you think we can see it?LOL
My answer is NOSE .But can we consider nose,back,ear as objects or as parts of our body?

13 Jan 2013     

edrodmedina
United States

Hmmm, interesting. It can �t be my nose cause mines huge and I can see it even w/my eyes closed. Can �t be feet cause that �s plural although I haven �t seen them in a while. Can �t be my back (I �m very flexible). Can �t be the back of my eyelids cause I have two and I can �t see anyone else �s. I �m guessing forehead (at this time in my life more of a fivehead approaching six) although I can see it w mirrors. It could also be the back of my head (I �m not that flexible) although I could use mirrors for that too. Ed... I �ll have to give this more thought.

13 Jan 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Dear Ed, my earnest advice to you, is to stop there! LOL

13 Jan 2013     

yanogator
United States

uvula

13 Jan 2013     

edrodmedina
United States

@Yanogator... That reminds me of an incident w/my 4 yr old niece. She told my wife she had to pee and my wife gently corrected her. My wife said "urinate" to which my niece replied quite crossed "No I �m not. You �re a Nate". True story. Ed

13 Jan 2013     

jannabanna
France

@ Ed - nice story.  I have one similar:  A friend of mine was off to Miami without husband or children and one of her children, the youngest asked her:  "Mum when are you going to Yourami?"  Love it !!! 
Well, well, you have been busy and on a Sunday too!!!

Sorry, it �s not nose, back, ears, uvula; you can see them in a mirror!

I �ll give you a clue:  It �s not on the body at all!  It �s an object!

Second clue tomorrow ....................... 

13 Jan 2013     

yanogator
United States

So, Janet, what �s it made of?

Bruce

13 Jan 2013     

1    2    Next >