Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help with translation    

Help with translation

grimsim
France

Help with translation

Hello everybody!
Always at this time of the year I find myself confused as to what to call the test my stduents take at the end of the term that is counted separately and reviews all what the students have learnt since the beginning of the year. In French, it is an " examen normalis�". Should I call it " End of term exam/Test", "Final Examination" "Final Test", "Standardised Test"or simply "End of semester Exam", knowing that I use all of them except standardised test, which is a literal translation of " Examen normalis�"?
What do you call it?
Thanks

13 Jan 2013      

ironik
Australia

At the university I studied, they were called "finals".
At the university I work for now, they are called ECA, end of course exam.

btw, I think all your suggestions are totally acceptable.

13 Jan 2013     

Lilia Laz
Tunisia

We would called it "full term test"

13 Jan 2013     

edrodmedina
United States

Lilia, isn �t that a test that a woman who �s nine months pregnant takes?    :-) Ed

13 Jan 2013     

Moroccan Teacher
Morocco

I think "End of term exam" is the best one.

13 Jan 2013     

miyoko71
Morocco

Well, I �ve been looking for the same  thing, I googled"alimtihan almowahad almahali" and found"Local common test", but I think that it doesn �t sound good.I think" final term test" is much better

13 Jan 2013     

Moroccan Teacher
Morocco

Hi Miyoko,

I guess that "Final term test" is a little bit confusing: do "fina"l modify "term" or "test"?
By the way, it seems to me that "exam" is more accurate than "test"

according to Longman Dictionary:

test:

a set of questions or practical activities, which are intended to find out how much someone knows about a subject or skill : I have a chemistry test tomorrow. | Did Lauren pass her driving test?

exam ( also examination formal ) an important test that you do at the end of a course of study or class or at the end of the school year : He�s upstairs, revising for an exam. | When do you get your exam results? | There�s a written examination at the end of the course.

13 Jan 2013     

douglas
United States

Final exams

14 Jan 2013     

jannabanna
France

I �ve often seen this and that �s what I would have used:
- end of term test.

Our students in BAC PRO and BTS came for two years.  I used to test them three times a year; the final being at the end of each year.  Of course their exam were done by the State, but during the two years I did at least two mock exams.

For me a test is more informal than an exam and is just to see what they have retained from the lessons.   The marks may just be for me, whereas exam results count for a certificate or diploma.

Janet

14 Jan 2013