Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Organisation of downloaded worksheets    

Organisation of downloaded worksheets

Terri Lawson
New Zealand

Organisation of downloaded worksheets

I thought I had a reasonably good system of saving downloaded worksheets into various topic folders, but it doesn �t seem to be terribly effective now that I can download up to 30 a day. How do the �veterans � of this site keep track of all their downloads, please???

Thanks in anticipation,Big smile

Terri

15 Jan 2013      

MoodyMoody
United States

Just because you CAN download 30 worksheets/presentations a day doesn �t mean you should get that many. Step one is to be selective in your daily downloads. Think about what is useful to your students, or in rare cases for you. There are lots of great worksheets about learning colors or children �s songs, but I never download them because I teach adults. If it doesn �t appeal to you or it isn �t nearly ready-to-use or it �s filled with mistakes, let it go by.

Always rename your worksheet files something that tells you what the file is about. That helps a lot, too.

I tend to organize partly by purpose and partly by subject. I put reading, pronunciation, and conversation worksheets in their own folders. I put grammar in a folder and then use subfolders for different parts of speech, and subcategorize verbs by tense. Games such as Taboo or board games go in another folder. I have a Vocabulary folder and then subcategorize by topic, such as Jobs or Health. I have one that has useful information for teaching; I include copy-pasted forum posts in that as well. (I haven �t used OneNote much, and just started using Evernote which is compatible with my tablet. I �ve generally used Word for saving that kind of information.)

One thing I probably need to do myself is get rid of things I never use. I have hoarding tendencies, so that �s difficult for me. It sounds like you �re going to need to do that, too.

15 Jan 2013     

Terri Lawson
New Zealand

Thanks for your wonderful advice - I agree that just because I can download 30 worksheets,I shouldn �t, unless I think they"d be useful.LOLLOL I must say that I �ve never downloaded that many yet!!!!

As regards getting rid of things, I don �t know that I can - it feels like sacrilege knowing how hard the authors have worked producing them (and I have been careful about what I chose), but I will try.

I am going to copy and paste your reply into Word (and save it on my desktop) right now so I can keep referring to it.

Thanks again

Terri 

16 Jan 2013     

joy2bill
Australia

One folder called ESL Printables and then lots of sub-folders such as �articles �, prepositions, etc.
I always make sure I say "thank you � to the person for two reasons.
a) because I am really grateful
b) It helps me to remember that I have already downloaded it so I don �t do it again.
To help me find it I usually change the label from the number to the title that the contributor gave to help me find it again.
Cheers
Joy

16 Jan 2013