Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > "The owners were straight on top of the money.? / "hair of the dog" ?    

"The owners were straight on top of the money.? / "hair of the dog" ?

mari_18cf
Brazil

"The owners were straight on top of the money.? / "hair of the dog" ?

"It was only a [6.6-pound] dog, so it doesn �t take much of the anti-freeze for it to become poisoned," veterinarian Scott Hall from Animal Accident and Emergency Point Cook told Ninemsn.com. "The owners were straight on top of the money. They realized straight away that things weren �t right and came straight to us."

Alcohol stops a chemical reaction in the liver that causes kidney failure and while ethanol is usually the best treatment for anti-freeze poising, the vets used vodka that a nurse had stashed in her car. It was, in effect, the old "hair of the dog" treatment for the young pup.

Could you help me understand these sentences highlighted?

16 Jan 2013      

grimsim
France

The owners were straight on top of the money means they were right and precise.
Hair of the dog is an alcoholic drink supposed to cure a hangover.
Hope it helps :)

16 Jan 2013     

mari_18cf
Brazil

Great man!

"straight on top of the money" Is it an expression? It has nothing to do with money, right?

16 Jan 2013     

mari_18cf
Brazil

Great man!

"straight on top of the money" Is it an expression? It has nothing to do with money, right?

16 Jan 2013     

grimsim
France

No it has nothing to do with money, it is an idiomatic expression. Well, the most common one is "right on the money", which means exactly right. If someone says something correct or exact, you could say, " right on the money" :)
Well, that�s how I see it. I�d love to read our colleagues � points of view!

16 Jan 2013     

yanogator
United States

"Hair of the dog" is short for "hair of the dog that bit you". It refers to a superstition that if a dog (especially if it is rabid) dog bites you, then applying a few hairs from that dog to the wound will help with the healing or prevent your contracting the disease. In its idiomatic sense, grimsim was referring to the belief that an alcoholic drink in the morning will cure a hangover. (The drinking from the night before being the dog bite, and the morning drink being the hair).

Bruce

16 Jan 2013     

douglas
United States

Though I have never heard "straight on top of the money", I am sure Grimsim is right in tying it to "right on the money".

Here is an explanation of that idiom:

According to sportsidioms.com, term "right on the money" or "dead on the money" comes from archery.
For prize competitions in a coin would be set at the middle of the target and the archer whose arrow landed closest to the coin would take the coin as the prize.

Therefore right on the money would mean the center of the target (dead center).

The practice of shooting the coin with arrows is still used today
http://www.mac.asn.au/news_7.htm

PS--Bruce is right on the money with his "hair of the dog" answer.

Cheers,
Douglas

17 Jan 2013     

jannabanna
France

We learn so much from this site - even oldies like me !!!

Thank you all !!!

17 Jan 2013