Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > American_vs_British_English_jobs_vocabulary    

American_vs_British_English_jobs_vocabulary

portugueseteacher
Portugal

American_vs_British_English_jobs_vocabulary

Hello, everybody!

I would need some help specially from the British natives and American Natives.
I did some reserch on jobs vocabulary and wanted to teach my students the American English and the British English version.
For example I found out that postman(BrE) corresponds to mailman or mailcarrier in AmE.The same happened to fireman (BrE)whose equivalent in AmE is firefighter.
Barrister, solicitor (BrE)in the same way relate to lawyerAmE).
Caretaker (BrE)equals janitor in AmE.
Headmaster (BrE)is equivalent to principal in AmE.Could you please confirm if the information is correct and provide me with more examples?Thanks in advance!

20 Jan 2013      

htunde
Hungary

hi,

Have you tried this?
http://www.eslprintables.com/buscador/search.asp?nivel=any&age=0&tipo=any&contents=american%2C+british&username=&B2=Search

20 Jan 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

Interesting question, considering that there are still linguistic contortions going on in the UK about gender-specific job titles. Our regular postie here is a woman, so nobody refers to her as �the postman �; the last mainstream school I worked in had a female headteacher, but, for reasons best known to herself, didn �t object to being called the �headmaster �. �Firefighter � is becoming more common in the UK too, as is �police officer �.
By the way, British English is perhaps a bit more diverse than the BrE label suggests. We don �t have �barristers � in Scotland (we have �advocates �) and a �janitor � is normally found only in schools here ( �the jannie �).

20 Jan 2013     

portugueseteacher
Portugal

Thanks for your help!

Smile

20 Jan 2013     

edrodmedina
United States

caretaker=janitor=custodian. n our school system the people who take care of the schools prefer to be called custodians. A rose by any other name....Ed

20 Jan 2013     

Zora
Canada

Surgery - Br.
Doctor �s office - Am.

Electrical/computer/etc Engineer - BR.
Electrician/Computer repairman - computer expert/etc. - Am./Can.

Using engineer is not common in Canada unless you are a civil/nautical, etc... In Britain, I see it used quite often for what would be considered �blue collar � jobs. i.e. plumber, builder, electrician...

21 Jan 2013